Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. My 2000 RS has a clunking in the front passenger side. I made sure the suspension was tight(apex coilovers) but it still clunks over even the slightest bumps. The noise is definatly coming from that area. I've had the coilover suspension for 8 months now and this noise just started a week ago.

2.Just out of curiosity; what is that slight squeek noise when you pop the clutch or shift fast. I know it's not the tires chirping.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
1)That noise could be the half shaft. Drive around in a tight circle in a parking lot; go in both directions, if you hear any clicks from that side the constant velocity joint is shot. If it doesn’t at least you eliminated one of the possibilities. Another thing it could be is a bad, improperly installed, or loose strut top.
2)The clutches on our cars work on a hydraulic system similar to a brake system. The slave cylinder has a rod that pushes a diaphragm almost exactly like a brake master cylinder. What you are hearing might be that rod moving in and out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check the bolt on the strut top under the hood. I had a similar clunking sound coming from my back right strut. It turned out to be a loose bolt on the strut. Its a quick and easy check.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
likely your coil overs need to be serviced/lubed
and have the seals replaced...

that is very likely the source of your clunking issue.
the struts need servicing....

that's a lot of miles to put on em with no issues thus far
most coil over set ups need new seals/grease
occasionally....

hope this helps.
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts