Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm wondering if you fine folks can shed any light on this situation:

Car is a 2000 OBS with rear drums

So I just changed both my rear wheel bearings (pressed in by a machine shop) everything went back together nicely and the wom wom wom is gone (yay!).

BUT now I am getting a weird thunking sound from the pass side wheel. It occurs whenever I hit any kind of bump in the road and is louder at low speeds.

I noticed the tire has a little play (like 1/8 of an inch) even with the lug nuts snugged down. So I pulled the tire back off and it seems like the drum isn't seating correctly. I push on the top and the bottom pops out a bit (and vice versa). Any idea what could cause this? Does the drum need resurfacing or is the hub shot? I adjusted the brakes in to make sure they weren't binding on the drum and the noise is still there. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I triple checked all the other bolts and made sure they were nice and snug, the driver's side rear does not have this tire play.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
The rears (with drum brake type) are just bolt on bearings/hubs... as in you just remove the center nut and slide the entire bearing and hub off and install the new bearing/hub assembly and tighten the nut to spec. They come new with the bearings made into the hubs, you don't have to press anything in. Is it possible they didn't tighten the bearing/hub assembly properly?

·
Registered
Black 2001 RS
787 Posts
You can pull the rotor off pretty easily. Check for rust or any oddities in the hub-to-rotor mating. As long as the rotor is off, see if there's any play in the hub.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the job myself. I reused the old hub and had a machine shop press in a new bearing (and seals) that I ordered off of this site. I wasn't aware they made new ones with bearings built-in or I would have gotten those :bonk: and saved a ton of time!

Anyway, I figure it has to be either the hub is bad or something is wrong with the brake drum because it doesn't seem to seat properly. Any ideas on what could cause that?

The rears (with drum brake type) are just bolt on bearings/hubs... as in you just remove the center nut and slide the entire bearing and hub off and install the new bearing/hub assembly and tighten the nut to spec. They come new with the bearings made into the hubs, you don't have to press anything in. Is it possible they didn't tighten the bearing/hub assembly properly?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.