Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5RS SRP sedan
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to get a new exhaust and cat for my 01 2.5 RS, hopefully by next weekend so it can be put on with my new suspension set up. I know this question has been asked a billion times, but I need some advice. Ive scoured subarureview.com and this site for something to help me decide, like reviews, videos or sound clips. As for sound/video clips there isnt much on here for clips that dont have headers included (ive looked at the "which exhaust should i get" thread a ton of times). So Im having trouble getting a true sense of what just the exhausts would sound like. And there is no one around where I live that really into the subaru scene other than a few kids with wrx's and sti's. So I dont have anyone other than you guys on here to ask. So heres my criteria, any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

1) I would prefer to have an exhaust with the stockish looking muffler (although i could probably be talked into another style)
2) Car is, as stated about, an 01 2.5 RS sedan and I am planning to do an turbo engine swap next spring (I would wait until then, but my exhaust and cat are in poor shape)
3) I would like one with a noticeable boxer rumble, but nothing super loud

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
after havign my cobb cat back for a while the boxer sound wasn't truely there, when it got hot the nice deep burbles came out on downshifts but the boxer sound really came from my headers! ebay ftw.
Going to use this setup with bolt on turbo kit.

Borlas/cobb/scooby sport, etc all look very stockish, no huge cans.

vid compete with a slight heat shield rattle that I ripped of soon after.
when the cars warmer she gets nice and deep and a tad louder great in 1st and second shifts

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s237/imprezatwofive/?action=view&current=exhaust.flv

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Lowpros8 said:
1) I would prefer to have an exhaust with the stockish looking muffler (although i could probably be talked into another style)
STi can would be your best option.

2) Car is, as stated about, an 01 2.5 RS sedan and I am planning to do an turbo engine swap next spring (I would wait until then, but my exhaust and cat are in poor shape)
If you're planning a turbo engine swap, you should wait. Who cares if your cat and exhaust are in rough shape? Both will need to be changed again when you swap (the cat will be taken out altogether). If your exhaust is breaking/cracking in a lot of places, like said above, grab an STi catback. It's cheap, and will get you by.

If your cat is bad, you've got an 8-year emissions warranty on it. Just go get a new one. If they don't want to cover you, pick up a used one. No sense spending anymore than you need to if you're swapping, it will all be a complete waste of money, and aftermarket cats are not cheap.

3) I would like one with a noticeable boxer rumble, but nothing super loud
You would need Borla or Borla-replica headers for this, and again, they'd be tossed out when you swap, so that's a pointless waste of money.

Let me put it to you this way:

Borla-replica's: $200
Stromung cat (the cheap one): $400
OBX Catback: $350
Total amount of your swap budget used up by stuff you'll be changing again when you swap: $950.

You could get maybe half of that back by selling the stuff after the swap, but you're still down $475 on your swap budget.

What I'm saying is....anymore than what's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY at this point is a massive waste of money. You could get a used stock cat, STi catback + modifications to make it fit for under $200 and probably sell it for what you bought it for.

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5RS SRP sedan
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^

So what youre saying is that even if i were to grab another stock cat and buy an aftermarket exhaust, i couldnt use that same after market exhaust when i do the turbo engine swap?

Also, I realize that I wont be getting too much of the boxer rumble out of my car without headers, but I was wondering if there was a exhaust that brought out a little more of the rumble by itself.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Lowpros8 said:
So what youre saying is that even if i were to grab another stock cat and buy an aftermarket exhaust, i couldnt use that same after market exhaust when i do the turbo engine swap?
Correct. A good turbo exhaust is in the 3.0" range, which is WAAAAY too big for n/a. You could look for something in the 2.5" range. Little too big for n/a, little too small if you plan on having any fun with your turbo motor when you get there.

Also, I realize that I wont be getting too much of the boxer rumble out of my car without headers, but I was wondering if there was a exhaust that brought out a little more of the rumble by itself.
This is what everybody wants. The sound without spending the money. Sorry dude, doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great help for me FalconRS ... Thanks!....

Follow-up question: You mentioned 2.5" to be a little too big for N/A; Is this still the case for a setup without a CAT? What size do you recommend for piping when you have things such as headers, intake, and no CAT? ( I have a feeling you are going to say even less because of backpressure w/o the CAT )

·
Registered
2002 WRXWAG, Silver
79 Posts
Someone on www.subarutunersofmaine.com (SUBARUDE/JUNKYARDGABE ?) had a STi catback awhile ago. Post there to see if he still has it. I think he wanted like $150. Take it to a muffler shop, Meineke/Midas, and they will weld on a new flange at the proper angle for like $50.

This is exactly what I did. I like the sound. I am not sure what the "boxer rumble" sounds like , but the Sti axelback gives a nice little growl.

·
Registered
2002 WRXWAG, Silver
79 Posts
Oh, and BTW I MIGHT go to the VIP Show, Shine, and Drag this Sun if you wanted to meet up there to hear mine. If so go on STM and PM me there. I don't check here very often.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Alycobaba said:
Great help for me FalconRS ... Thanks!....

Follow-up question: You mentioned 2.5" to be a little too big for N/A; Is this still the case for a setup without a CAT? What size do you recommend for piping when you have things such as headers, intake, and no CAT? ( I have a feeling you are going to say even less because of backpressure w/o the CAT )
Between high flow cat and track pipe the difference in flow isn't huge. 2.25" is optimal piping if you're going n/a and planning to stay there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts