Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently just purchased one of those cigarette lighters that has a lightbulb built in to illuminate the ring around it. Looking at this DIY for installing it, I noticied that mine has a different connector.

Compared to the normal USDM which has three connectors, this has four. However, the one shown in the DIY above has the same connector along as the USDM, along with the bulb. After some observation, the extra pin-out appears to be used for some connector that is connected to the back of the lighter itself.

Im curious as to what this extra connector is used for? If possible, I just won't use it when wiring up the lighter and re-use the stock connector from the lighter currently in my car. It seems like the ground connection is only required.

I also plan on wiring the bulb directly into the radio illumination wire so that the light dims with the rest of the cluster. Is this feasible? It appears to be wire #7 (green).

Edit: I found the wiring diagram in a service manual. I still am uncertain if it's needed.

·
Premium Member
2.5RS
8,447 Posts
Splice into your Ashtray Power or USDM power. OR just move the light from the ashtray into the housing of the JDM Cig housing(no wiring involved)

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Splice into your Ashtray Power or USDM power. OR just move the light from the ashtray into the housing of the JDM Cig housing(no wiring involved)
I was initially going to go this route (like in the DIY), but decided to change it up a bit. However, isn't the ash tray bulb not part of the dimmer circuit? I want it to dim with the dimmer switch.

Also still curious if that extra connector is necessary. I've tried digging some more, but I can't find anything on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts