Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T (Sold)
3,488 Posts
My engine makes a chirping noise towards the right rear corner of the engine bay. I can hear it inside the car from behind the gauge cluster. It chirps faster as I rev the car. Any insight?
Sounds like the clutch throwout bearing. Does it go away when you push in the clutch?

· Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza OBS
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^ sorry om logged in at work as my friend ha this last post was really indeed tcsubaru haha. but how do i fix this throwout bearing? im planning on a new exedy stage 1 organic after winter so will that fix it? im pretty transmission illiterate ha.

· Registered
98 Posts
if you get the whole clutch kit, it comes with a new bearing. My bearing was shot a while ago, and I had a my local performance shop install my exedy clutch kit for me, no more stupid chirp ^^. But I found I couldn't hear it unless I was idling with the clutch out...then again I don't know how loud your car is :p.

This may also be the same issue that my dad's '03 Forester has... it's had it ever since he got it. When it's up to about 3500+ rpm it's when it's really noticeable. It like a whistling/chirping sound (kinda like blowing in a small referee whistle slowly). But it seems to be coming from the rear somewhere. I thought maybe his rear diff could be making it...but I know dick all about anything technical so who knows. Doesn't seem to affect performance any, but then again, it's been that way since he got it (used) so I can't really compare it to anything.

· Registered
MY02 White TS
307 Posts
Could you be a bit more specific as to where? Because I checked today, and I can't tell where the two would be touching each other.

It sounds like the chirping is coming from the AC compressor though. Would a too tight AC or alternator belt cause the chirping?

· Registered
57 Posts
if you get the whole clutch kit, it comes with a new bearing. My bearing was shot a while ago, and I had a my local performance shop install my exedy clutch kit for me, no more stupid chirp ^^. But I found I couldn't hear it unless I was idling with the clutch out...then again I don't know how loud your car is :p.

This may also be the same issue that my dad's '03 Forester has... it's had it ever since he got it. When it's up to about 3500+ rpm it's when it's really noticeable. It like a whistling/chirping sound (kinda like blowing in a small referee whistle slowly). But it seems to be coming from the rear somewhere. I thought maybe his rear diff could be making it...but I know dick all about anything technical so who knows. Doesn't seem to affect performance any, but then again, it's been that way since he got it (used) so I can't really compare it to anything.
**if it is in the rear; check your muffler for holes(even pinholes)....had several cars with the same symptom.....cheap solution instead of throwing parts at it.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.