Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i just got myself a Blue 2001 2.5RS a couple of days ago. i'm new to Subarus, but i'm a DIY guy so i was looking for a Chilton's that covers my car but couldn't find one that covered up to 2001. what maintenance books are out there for the 2.5RS? are there any kinda typical ailments that the 2.5RS is notorious for?

TIA

latez,
takashi
 

·
Registered
2000 RS BRP
Joined
·
209 Posts
TakaSaurus said:
but i'm a DIY guy so i was looking for a Chilton's that covers my car but couldn't find one that covered up to 2001. what maintenance books are out there for the 2.5RS?
I have attempted to located a Chilton's guide without any luck for my RS. I have been told they do not make them for newer model Subarus yet.

You might have more luck with www.scoobymods.com They are a good source of info.

Welcome to the Scooby family!:sunny:

~Teresa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i saw that book, but i wasn't sure if it still applied to the 2001 2.5RS. i know that the 2001 is a SOHC, whereas the 1996 is a DOHC, right? other than that, are there any differences between the two years?

thanks,
takashi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
they actually never made a rs until 98 but most of the parts for the car are in there. they use almost the same body as we do no matter what year. The only differences that are visibal are the front fascia and engine size. They do not cover the 2.5l but do have illustrations of pretty much everypart on our car just a bit bigger or small than ours..

lets just say it's a rough estimate of what the rs looks like. it's the best we got unless you feel like dishing out 350 for a set of mechanics manuals from subaru. if you do please scan them and i'll gladly pay you how ever much... ;) but other than that sorry..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,087 Posts
hey, i have tried looking for those books too. then i think i figured out that they don't exist for 2000 RS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I looked everywhere also

I looked everywhere also. Turns out the only ones are the ones the dealers have. They said it is a volume of 8 manuals, seperated into engine, diagonstics, tranny, body, etc. The whole set costs around $300 he said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for everyone's replies. does anyone know if the torque specs for all the nuts/bolts are still the same?

latez,
takashi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,087 Posts
TakaSaurus said:
thanks for everyone's replies. does anyone know if the torque specs for all the nuts/bolts are still the same?

latez,
takashi
what torque specs do you need? which part? or are you talking about the whole car in general?

hey, you are in the bay area too. check out the northern california forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EvasionOfTruth said:
Not a manual but a hell of a reference: www.evasionoftruth.com Most models of Subarus are covered, every nut and bolt you could fathom.

Buster
hey nice website, man. i did find the reference for the parts in your PDFs, but it didn't show the torque specs. i'm not specifically looking for a particular torque spec, but i just wanted all the torque specs in general so if i start taking my car apart, i can put it back together. ;) ;) ;)

latez,
takashi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,087 Posts
TakaSaurus said:
hey nice website, man. i did find the reference for the parts in your PDFs, but it didn't show the torque specs. i'm not specifically looking for a particular torque spec, but i just wanted all the torque specs in general so if i start taking my car apart, i can put it back together. ;) ;) ;)

latez,
takashi
well, you are sorta in luck, since you are in the bay area. in the past, whenever i needed torque specs i called up santa cruz subaru. bruce and mike over there is just amazing at the service department. heck, i called them at 5:30pm on a sat. looking for the torque specs for the spark plugs. their # is (831)420-1500, and their webpage is http://www.santacruzsubaru.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,087 Posts
oh, i think they'll even fax you some pages of their manual if you need it.
 

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
Joined
·
396 Posts
Chilton's: 64302 ( as stated earlier)
Haynes: 89100
Both of there manuals have supported me so far, all specs do crossover. Sometimes I use the Impreza values other times I use the Legacy, or turbo Legacy, it all depends on which component I'm working on.

Your only concern would be the exact torque values re the SOHC valvetrain which is not specifically covered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Re: I looked everywhere also

lukester01 said:
I looked everywhere also. Turns out the only ones are the ones the dealers have. They said it is a volume of 8 manuals, seperated into engine, diagonstics, tranny, body, etc. The whole set costs around $300 he said.
I have seen the dealer manuals, they go through everything. More than I would ever need. I would do what Albert suggests unless you need the full details of the dealers manuals.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top