Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2000 2.5RS Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so in the last 3 days my car has been having a rough idle, normally its at 700 rpm but its gone as low as 550rpm and as high as 1200rpm. It feels like its misfiring, just yesterday, the check engine light came on. Unfortunatly, the autozone that had a DTE scanner that could read my car just got newer scanners so now it cant read my car. The engine is a rebuilt engine with about 40k miles on it. I dont beat on my car, i get between 25 - 27mpg city. Any ideas on what the problem may be.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Hmm, is there another auto parts place near you with an OBD-II scanner? Pep Boys, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's.... any of them should have one, I think. Midas/Meineke maybe?

·
Banned
2000 2.5RS Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive tried them all, my car is cursed the check engine light has come on a lot, the only place i know will read my car is a subaru dealership thats a 45 min drive away.

·
Banned
1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
718 Posts
Spray water on the coil pack (s) at night and see if light is seen or a sound is heard. If so, you have a sour pack. Check the wires and plugs. Can it really be anything else?

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
you could have carbon buildup on your idle air intake ... thats what my problem was

·
Banned
2000 2.5RS Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the spark plugs and wires are brand new and i use and engine conditioner to prevent and breakdown carbon build up. i've also had problems with my o2 sensor, 3 in the last year, cuz the dearlership that installs them dont have any for my year and just pull the sensor from newer imprezas. could my o2 sensor be causing this problem?

·
Registered
2001 RS 2.5
640 Posts
the spark plugs and wires are brand new and i use and engine conditioner to prevent and breakdown carbon build up. i've also had problems with my o2 sensor, 3 in the last year, cuz the dearlership that installs them dont have any for my year and just pull the sensor from newer imprezas. could my o2 sensor be causing this problem?

Why don't we scan it with a OBD scanner because the light could be any of 100 different problems :crazy:

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
That doesn't make any sense...

You could get something like a cheap Actron scanner, I think I have the CP9125 or whatever it's called. It was like $45 on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
yeah really, i have a cheap one that I got a couple years ago.. I cant tell you how many times I have used it

·
WTF WAS THAT?!?
'05 Legacy GT, '09 Forester X
4,433 Posts
idle air control valve?
try seafoam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts