Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new here.
So my new to me Australian 1997 WRX, EJ20G has a check engine light for the Idle control valve or circuit. I only found out now after buying it becasue someone removed the CEL bulb from the cluster.

I took the valve off and cleaned it but nothing changed.
I had it idling and pulled the 3 pin plug off and nothing changed. While off i tested for 12v on the middle pin. I didn't get anything. Im assuming there should be a 12v supplied on start up. Where does the 12v usually come from? Is that my issue?

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
384 Posts
It's probably 12v while the car is running, the power likely comes from the engine bay fuse box with a switched power wire coming from the ecu, but I'm not 100% certain. You may need to replace the valve itself, we're talking about an electronic solenoid from 25 years ago

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tested the power while it was running and got nothing going into it. I found a wiring diagram and the yellow/red wire in question comes from the Main Relay under the dash. It goes to the O2 sensor and other stuff befor going to the IACV so it might be another sensor breaking the connection. Ill test the relay tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you check the fuses? There may be a fuse inline somewhere, possibly in the engine bay (although I dont remember a specific fuse for that valve)
All the fuses test good. Some were the wrong value when I got the car and I tested all of them and replaced the incorrect ones. Both the box in the engine bay as well as the one behind the compartment under the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts