Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem isn't from a subaru, it's from my girlfriends toyota, but maybe someone has input anyways.

Her '90 celica gt has a light that keeps coming on. It comes on for a few seconds, then turns off. It's been staying on longer recently, and is happening more frequently. The light says "brake." Les schwab place says her brakes are fine, but needs some brake fluid. Can it just be topped off, or does it need to be flushed and bled with new fluid? Would that cause a light to go off? Anything else to check? Maybe bad sensor? We're going to get fluid topped off for free tomorrow, just thought Id see if someone has had something like this happen before. Thanks guys!

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
If the fluid level is low, it will trip the BRAKE light on vehicles equipped with a sensor in the reservoir. For now, top it off before you get air in the system. Brake fluid levels don't just drop though, investigate a bit to find out why it did. Usually it's either worn pads or a leaking line.

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
could be:

low fluid
air in the lines tricking the sensors
or
emergency brake release sensor failure

I'm not sure what else to check. Is it the same light that comes on when you have the ebrake on? Does a 1990 celica have an ebrake light?

·
Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it the same light that comes on when you have the ebrake on? Does a 1990 celica have an ebrake light?
Yeah, she said it's the same light that comes on with the e brake.

You guys are awesome, thanks. Lots to look into!

·
Registered
1924 Rickshaw
18 Posts
Its either a faulty E-brake switch like stated above or low on fluid. I know my toyota pickup has a fluid level sensor and its an 86. I dont believe the 1990 celica would have pad sensors but i could be mistaken.

my guess is that its low on brake fluid since a "mechanic" says the brakes are fine.

Brake fluid levels will drop gradually. As the pads wear down, the pistons will stick out of the calipers more and will require more fluid to fill the void in the caliper. I noticed this in my toyota pickup when i installed new pads and rotors. In my application i have large 4 piston calipers and the reservoir only holds about 5oz. when the pads started to wear i noticed the level going down since i check my fluids frequently.

btw do check your brake hoses. its easy and quick. remember its now how fast you can go, its how fast you can stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts