Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 2.5RS Silverthorn
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm finally doing it! I'm moving out and starting over. Now, I need some tools that are relatively cheap. I have about a 200 dollar budget. I need a socket wrench set, wrench set, and a relatively decent jack and jack stands. Anyone have any recomendations?

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
get craftsman. they are cheaper but the lifetime warranty makes up for it. Stay away from the super cheap tools you can get from like Harbor Freight, you are just going to hurt yourself using them

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Yea, stick with Craftsman. I bought mostly craftsman tools and they're doing alright so far. You can tell the quality isn't like a SnapOn, but when they break, just bring them back :)

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Agreed, go nuts at sears, they also have soem killer sales if you wait for the right time. I got a shit ton of free stuff becuase i was at the door black friday waiting for them to open, got like 100$ in free stuff.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
^^and if you find tools on the side of the road that are craftsman you can return them and get brand new ones too ;) :lol:

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
craftsman is great because you can just walk into Sears or Kmart with a broken one and they will replace it no questions asked. If you need wrenches and sockets, get the set that has a wrench on one end and a socket like opposite end. Those things are the greatest tools I ever bought

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Buy up Craftsman tools of Craigslist/eBay. If any are broken just get brand new ones. Also there is an eBay vendor that sells individual Craftsman sockets for like a buck a piece.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
craftsmen FTMFW....i found a old craftsmen hammer in a field by my house...all rusted and bent.....took it to sears and got a brand new hammer!....

they sell the ratchet set that comes in a box with orange shelves...has 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" deep and normal sockets plus some wrenches, allen keys, screw driver with bits etc...for around 200$...its what i have and has pretty much everything you need...the box sucks pretty bad....but the tools are good....couldn't be happier with the set.

as for jack and jackstands....wal mart...

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,918 Posts
I bought a few sets of pittsburgh stuff from HF. The sockets looks and take a pounding on like the craftsman. Some of the other stuff I dont know how well it will hold up. We will see how long they take a beating.:noes:

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Right now I have two sets of channellock tools got them at sams for 55 for the set, I use them as my main tools atm.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=374823 this might be different from what I have but its a great set, and I've beaten the shit out of them and they're holding up well. they also have a lifetime warrenty but its not as easy as the craftsman replacement, not that its a big deal for a 1/4th of the craftsman cost this is the 3rd or 4th year of serious use and they're still holding strong.

I have a bucket full of el cheapo screw drivers and stuff for jobs that will surely damage my tools, like axel nut removal, we destroyed one screw driver doing so.

jack stands are cheap, a set of 2 ton stands cost about $17 each at northern tool and equipment. they work fine in my oppinion.

DON'T SKIMP ON THE JACK, I had a 30 dollar floor jack twist and fail on me, right now I'm barowing my neighbors Craftsman All Aluminum floor jack its awesome but it carries a 230 dollar price tag that I think is completely worth it, because you're trusting your car with it.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
DON'T SKIMP ON THE JACK, I had a 30 dollar floor jack twist and fail on me, right now I'm barowing my neighbors Craftsman All Aluminum floor jack its awesome but it carries a 230 dollar price tag that I think is completely worth it, because you're trusting your car with it.

+1000, but don't skimp on the stands either. IMO, $230 is a bit much for a jack. You can get a 2 ton alum. jack at Cosco for $99.

craigslist is the best place to find tools. Buying used tools ftw, since there are a ton of middle-age-crisis guys that go and spend $2000+ on tools to only use them a couple times.

·
Premium Member
1999 2.5RS Silverthorn
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I was looking at the craftsman jacks and they look pretty sweet but the price tag is killer x.x I might just get a set of craftsman for now, but when black friday comes along Sears might be at the top of my list.

·
Registered
1999 Rally Bluuuuuu
1,361 Posts
Wait until they go on sale at Sears. Usually around the holidays or fathers day. Sometimes you can also find sets on ebay that were store "returns" and since they're not brand new, they're discounted.

Personally, I have a Husky socket set that I got from Home Depot and I think its great. Used it a bunch of times, never had anything break, and it was cheaper than Craftsman.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
The hand tools at Harbor Freight carry a lifetime warrantee as well. As for hurting yourself with them.....I agree.....I busted a 3/4" bolt with my "HF" 3ft. breaker bar and smashed my hand into a chrome bumper.

It's usually more convenient to go to Sears and get Craftsman, look online too.....Sears.com runs internet sales all the time. If there's a HF store near you, you'd be okay getting the basic necessities there for much cheaper.

I wouldn't worry about gathering a whole garage full of tools. I can disassemble pretty much my whole car with the tools I fit into a small tool bag. My box is now full of crap I rarely use.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
+1 on Craftsman.

I inherited a bunch of vintage stuff, but at least 50% is corroded and rusty because the box was on a screened in porch for years. Gotta clean it up a bit so they can be identified, and then turned in at Sears. =.P

What's the deal with the toolchests, though? No lifetime on them, right??

Also, the Lowes brand, Kobalt, has a lifetime on their stuff as well. Don't think they have killer sales like Sears, but I haven't really compared.

____

And $200 on a good aluminum jack isn't bad. Still kicking myself because I missed out on a local Blue Point aluminum with 4 matching stands for a song... :mad:

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
1,788 Posts
Right now I have two sets of channellock tools got them at sams for 55 for the set, I use them as my main tools atm.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=374823 this might be different from what I have but its a great set, and I've beaten the shit out of them and they're holding up well.
Agree with the Channel-Lock set. I've beaten on mine and everything still works great. I like their ratchets better than some of my older craftsman one's because they're pretty loose.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
http://www.facom.com/com/home.php

....Just kidding. :p :lol:

Craftsman, for sure. Though I have a small set of Husky tools that I bought at Home Depot several years ago, just a socket set. They work fine. Craftsman is better though, I think.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts