Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS Blue Ridge Pearl
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2000 impreza rs automatic... Recently I have noticed a chattering sound coming from the passenger side front end. The sound only comes when im at a dead stop and in drive. If I shift it to neutral or park the sound goes away. Any ideas what may cause this and how to gix it?

·
Registered
2003 2.5RS
60 Posts
Honestly it could be a ton of things. Best thing to do would be to let someone else sit in the drivers seat (that you trust I might add) while it is in drive and running and have them hold the brake w/the p brake and walk around the car and stick you face inside the engine bay to see if you can tell exactly where it is coming from. Then try and diagnose from there.

·
Registered
2003 2.5RS
60 Posts
Also, answering these questions might help other users on here:

Does it sound like an engine noise or something from your wheel well?

Is it a sharp or dull sound?

Does it go away at higher RPMs?

Does it happen in reverse?

Is it cold where you live?

Mileage? Any big servicing that you skipped?

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
Does it sound like bearings rolling around?

Maybe exhaust is hitting?

Need a video or more description.

·
Registered
2000 RS Blue Ridge Pearl
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car only has 108000 on it. I went to the dealership today and asked about it and the guy I spoke with said it could be a lose exhaust shield. Its hard to tell if it keeps making the noise because I do have an aftermarket exhaust so I cant hear it. It is cold at the moment where I live in, NePa. I wanna say the sound is more dull. At first I was thinking it may be a bad cv axle but like I said I really notice it when im not moving.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
From what you're describing, I'm ruling out piston slap, knock, and other engine items like that.

Most likely an exhaust shield. Have them cut off. Problem solved :D

Either way, might as well have them cut off. Many dealers do it for free... local shops might charge, but it's cheap. Not a biggie for most places.

Heat shields rattle at weird times. Depending on what's loose, it'll rattle at exactly the same RPM. Mine have always been in the 2-2.5k range. It's very possible yours could be at a stop too... our Forester was similar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts