Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza OBS
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C is bad, it blows cold but squeels like no other and also creates some hesitation while driving. It feels like its slipping or something. Thats outside the point. I got another A/C unit from my friends parts car and I am just curious as to how difficult it is to install? It looks like there is a bolt under the intake manifold. Does that mean I have to pull the manifold? What problems will that cause me? Do I need and fluids for the A/C etc? Please help I am A/C illiterate and I don't have any idea what changing that squeaky bastard is gonna take.

·
Registered
2001 STM RS coupe
3,229 Posts
It sounds like you just might need to tighten the belt. If you're talking about replacing the compressor it's not hard, you don't need to take off the manifold. I forget where all the bolts are but it helps to just take off the bracket that holds it to the block too. Some of the bolts are hard to get to but you can get them. I beleive there's like 4 you need to take off. The only "problem" you may run into is you have to take off the lines meaning you have to release the freon and then replace it when you swap compressors

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza OBS
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like you just might need to tighten the belt. If you're talking about replacing the compressor it's not hard, you don't need to take off the manifold. I forget where all the bolts are but it helps to just take off the bracket that holds it to the block too. Some of the bolts are hard to get to but you can get them. I beleive there's like 4 you need to take off. The only "problem" you may run into is you have to take off the lines meaning you have to release the freon and then replace it when you swap compressors
Thanks man I was kinda in the dark I figured i didn't "have" to remove the manifold. I think your tight about the 4 bolts and how difficult is it to change freon? Expense?

·
Premium Member
2005 STI , 1998 Outback Sport
206 Posts
If you have to change your compressor then i would just take it to a shop. If your gonna open up the system you will end up releasing the freon into the atmosphere which isnt a good thing. Then when you change the compressor you are suppose to change the receiver/dryer, once those items are installed then the system needs to be sucked down and put into a vacuum before it is filled with freon. To suck down a system and properly fill it you need a special machine. If you really want to do the labor yourself you can, just be sure to acquire new o-rings and like i said you should change the receiver/dryer at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
I'm all for DIY, and do everything myself...but this is one of the very few things I'd recommend taking it to a shop to do.

But, do as suggested: check the belt tension first. It could be as simple as the belt, and you'd save yourself some dough and time.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza OBS
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have to change your compressor then i would just take it to a shop. If your gonna open up the system you will end up releasing the freon into the atmosphere which isnt a good thing. Then when you change the compressor you are suppose to change the receiver/dryer, once those items are installed then the system needs to be sucked down and put into a vacuum before it is filled with freon. To suck down a system and properly fill it you need a special machine. If you really want to do the labor yourself you can, just be sure to acquire new o-rings and like i said you should change the receiver/dryer at the same time.
Thats good to know before I start pulling shit. And i'll probably just check the belt for now and if that doesn't work just pull it. Any easy way to rig up a A/C delete type pulley?

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Yeah I'm with these guys with checking the belt. You are going to have hesitation while your A/C is on no matter what.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts