Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
broke down and installed a shift interlock mechanism. it would select second on it's own. the interlock mechanism is a marvel of cnc machining. i was tempted to post a pic of it but i think it is Sam's trade secret. pictures located at printroom.com. can be found by entering the album name "5252"

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
Too bad that fucker doesn't include it in his tranny kit. Grr.. No respect for that lying theif. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
scoobyrs25 said:
Too bad that fucker doesn't include it in his tranny kit. Grr.. No respect for that lying theif. Sorry.
Care to elaborate? If you have some info that could possibly save someone else a headache, post it. If I had the money, and the need for one, I would be buying a chalak hardened-synchroed gearset, I haven't seen too much negative press on them.

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
Lo0mis said:

Care to elaborate? If you have some info that could possibly save someone else a headache, post it. If I had the money, and the need for one, I would be buying a chalak hardened-synchroed gearset, I haven't seen too much negative press on them.
Chalack is in Austrailia. If your gearsets break, he will blame whoever built the tranny. Then of course, your vendor will blame Chalack, and you are screwed. This has happened to 3 of my friends so far. You have been warned.
Kevin
ps, if you are patient, I will have US made syncro sets available soon.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
scoobyrs25 said:

ps, if you are patient, I will have US made syncro sets available soon.

Good to hear. When I get to the point when I need a new gearset, I'll make sure to look you up. Thanks for the info on the Chalak thing.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am beginning to become annoyed as well. he sent me the part, i asked about instructions, he procrastinated for a week, i installed the interlock mechanism, i couldn't get 1st and 2nd. i called him(ten dollar call) and he says it hits the case which needs to be relieved.. which is plainly written in the instructions he just sent an hour ago... which is slightly more than a little annoying. this is the fourth time i have had my trans out. i have always defended him until now.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iblue, an interlock mechanism accompanies the paddle through the index trough. when it is in 3-4 ,it blocks 1-2 and 5-R and holds them in the exact center. instead of clicking it into neutral and leaving, it stays there and holds the dog in between the gears. sortof kindof. i typed this and erased it about nineteen times. to make it sound right. hope this helps

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know this isn't a big subject. i know there aren't very many requests out there for interlock mechanism information but i have got one installed and i am compelled to add this to the archives. it functions.

·
Registered
99 Impreza 10.9 @ 131
204 Posts
Hmmm...this is a funny read. Especially since I have installed my Chalak/PAR engineering gearset, had no issues with the install, shifts beautifully, and I have been putting over 500awhp through it for 2 years with no failures and 10 sec 1/4 mile passes. I know everyone hates when the manufacturer points fingers, but it is usually an accurate assumption on there part. Every part know to man is breakable, but how it is treated and installed says alot for the longevity of it. You bought a gearset that can handle increased power levels, you didn't buy a $25k Xtrac.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts