Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wiring harness for the driver's side headlight on my 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.2L "L" sedan has melted. My daughter was on a long road trip yesterday, and I guess 3+ hours of continuous use was enough to melt the horizontal tab that controls the low beam (high beam is still OK).

I want to replace the current plastic harness with a ceramic one. Can I get some suggestions?

I do a lot of soldering and have all the soldering irons, shrink tubing and heat guns needed for the job.

This one on Amazon looks like it's intended for folks who DON'T want to solder:

Hipro Power H4 (9003) Heavy Duty Ceramic Headlight Wire Harness : Amazon.com : Automotive

Here's one that requires soldering (curious why they didn't color code the wires):

Amazon.com: Amico 2 x H4 9003 Ceramic Wire Wiring Headlight Harness Sockets for Car Headlight: Automotive

I want to do this job right once (will replace both sides) but I can't wait forever for shipping.

Suggestions?

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Susquehanna motorsports (rally lights.com) has a nice kit, its blue with a ceramic center. Lots of us have bought from them, good people there.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just plugs and terminals, cut your old ones off and crimp these on. Dont solder them just crimp it good. Order two. CFC Ceramic Female Headlamp Receptacle Includes Housing and Terminals - RallyLights.com
Done! They're on their way w/ 2 day shipping.

When I bought the car, I tested all the lights, but I guess this old car from 2000 hasn't had too many road trips lately. The harness was pretty badly melted.

Is there anything else I can do while I'm in there? I read on another site about a "relay kit" for the headlights that can help mitigate these kinds of problems.

My guess is that this failed either due to age or maybe the dealer (or previous owner) installed bulbs that were too hot (too much wattage) for the harness.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Not really, lighting wise this is the only major issue we have. Throw some dielectric grease on there to keep water out and your golden.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm guessing it was to high a wattage/hot bulb in there. Easiest solution is just the dorman replacement sockets with lower gauge wiring from whatever autostore but those ceramic replacements will do just fine also.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also noticed that the passenger-side headlight wiring assembly seems to be cemented into place. I tried to unplug the wiring assembly for about a minute but couldn't get it to budge. I was only using my fingers, and it was raining outside so I wasn't super persistent.

Is there a trick to getting these things off? Since I'll be upgrading both plastic assemblies with ceramic ones, I don't really care if the rubber connector gets messed up during the changeover, but I don't want to do any additional damage to the headlight assembly itself.

Also, is the consensus opinion that a ceramic assembly is ALWAYS superior to an OEM plastic one?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way, if I wiggle the current melted connect a little, I can get the headlight to turn on, so I'll be able to limp along for the next few days and not look like a one-eyed-pirate driving around town.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Make sure you're pressing down on the clips...should slide off fairly easily. Ceramic is better, but so is thicker wiring.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: Today I installed the new wiring harness on the left front headlight, replacing the original one that had melted.

I received the replacement parts from Rally Lights earlier in the week and was initially disappointed because they had already installed pigtail leads for the connector. They also used very heavy 12 gauge wire, so this meant I'd have to break out the soldering iron.

Once I got started w/ the project, I realized the pigtails were a blessing in disguise because the old wires would have been too short once I cut off the melted connector. My son helped me solder the wire, and we used some heavy duty shrink tubing as well.

The old rubber housing ripped when I was trying to get it off the old connector. The top of it had also melted and was glued to the connector. I wrapped about a foot of electrical tape around it, and it's good to go.

Next weekend we'll do the other side. Should be a lot easier since I don't think that one ever melted.

·
Registered
98 Red OBS
268 Posts
I just did this repair and My light still wont work. I've tried 3 different bulb types just incase. Any Ideas??? Its the passenger side

1 - 15 of 15 Posts