Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza L 2.2 5spd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Because i’m a genius and replaced my old transmission with another used one, i’m about to have a second center diff failure within a year (if the guys in my turbo thread read this it’ll give them something to chuckle about lol)

anyways, ive decided to tear apart the old trans and replace anything janky, so when the new one goes i can just stick this one back in and call it a day.

my question (i did some research this time) is this: what center diff would be my best bet? I cant afford to keep replacing it every so often, and i drive the car at least 250 miles every day for work. I read that cusco makes really good stuff, but the 35/60 split won’t fly in the snow. also was reading abt a couple of other brands but cant remember the names now that i’m mid post.

i need something that wont sh*t the bed if my tire pressures arent exact to a perfect T as i get a lot of customers who live out in the boonies on some pretty janky roads and have to deal with occasional tire repairs.

coming into a couple of really good checks for the next couple of weeks so i’ll have a decent chunk of change to throw at the problem. If anyone has done a center diff upgrade, Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,086 Posts
The aftermarket center diffs change your handling in a way that's great for racing, but not good for the street. Plus I've never seen one of those diffs last more than a couple thousand miles (admittedly under severe conditions).

I'd recommend buying a replacement conventional center diff. A brand new one will last a very long time even with abuse or unequal tires.

''

·
Registered
2001 Impreza L 2.2 5spd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The aftermarket center diffs change your handling in a way that's great for racing, but not good for the street. Plus I've never seen one of those diffs last more than a couple thousand miles (admittedly under severe conditions).

I'd recommend buying a replacement conventional center diff. A brand new one will last a very long time even with abuse or unequal tires.

''
alright cool thank you! Also i remembered the other brand i was looking at. All Drive Subaroo out of australia produced oem style center diffs in 20kg/100rpm over the stock 4kg/100rpm, in theory these ones should be much sturdier i would think? It’s stock ratios as far as i’m aware its just able to displace more torque from what i’m reading. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2001 Impreza L 2.2 5spd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's a manual, they are a piece of cake to replace. buy a new oem one and it'll last a long time.
hahaha especially true since the transmission i’m gonna be using is already out of the car 😂 I appreciate the help guys! Once thats swapped i’ll just wait till the trans thats still in the car grenades and swap them back out and repeat the process, spare parts always come in handy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts