Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there a way to get the CE codes w/o a scanner? I know for a lot of other cars you can jump a circuit and get the CE light to blink out the trouble code, but I never knew if you could do it on our cars. Anyhow, stupid light came on for me today. I wanna figure out what's up.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
It really depends what year your car is. If it's a '96 or newer, you'll have to get the codes checked with an OBD-II scanner. However, you can get it done free at AutoZone; they can read the codes, tell you what they mean, and clear them for you if you'd like. If your car is a '95 or older like mine, then you can connect some connectors under the dash and the check engine light will flash the code. Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Such bullshit. Pep Boys wants $80, dealership wants $75 just to hook up a fuckn scantool. You don't even need to know anything about cars to do this. The only Autozone in this area that I know of doesn't do any service. I can buy a damn scantool from Autozone for $140, buy I'll have a Link by the end of the month.

I just got a CEL last night, I'm pretty sure its from the Borla headers, but I'd rather be positive.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Lo0mis said:
I just got a CEL last night, I'm pretty sure its from the Borla headers, but I'd rather be positive.
-What year is your car?
-How many miles since the install?
-What else have you done to the exhaust system?

I'm intriuged because I also have a Borla header [w/ a 2.5"catback exhaust] but still no CEL.

Oh BTW, I read somewhere that Autozone was requested [ordered] to stop doing free OBD scans because the shops that normally charge $40+ were complaining of lost revenues.

·
Registered
1996 Impreza Sport, EJ201
18 Posts
if it's OBD-I then yea, you can read them. if it's OBD-II you have to get a scanner for it.

for OBD-I just look under the dashboard in your footwell (well, I have RHD car and it's in drivers footwell, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was in passenger's footwell for LHD). There should be an ECU with bunch of cables around it and there should be a pair of green connectors and pair of black connectors that are undone. Just connect black ones together and turn your key in the ignition (but don't start the engine). CEL should flash you a number of error code that you're having. Long flashes are tenths and short flashes are single digits. For instance mine goes BLIIIIP BLIIIIIP BLIP BLIP. Which is code 22 - knock sensor fault. You can get a list of error codes on the internet somewhere :)

·
Registered
00, OBW, 25, MT green
3 Posts
mine is a 2000 outback wagon, obd 2 so no luck for me, local parts stores don't do the scan tool thing,
on the left hand drive cars, (at least on mine) the connectors are still in the drivers foot well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts