Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a goofy noob question but I need to ask so I can further my knowledge! Haha!! ANYWAYS.... What benefits would a catback exhaust system have over an axleback system? Is is just a deeper tone or is there something else? I want to get the stromung 3.5" tip exhaust from boxer4racing.com ,and I am unsure if I should get just an axleback or catback. The price difference is about 140$

Thanks guys!
Justin

·
EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,000 Posts
On the N/A car, the catback is muffler and midpipe, axleback is just the muffler.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Clarification.
A "catback" system is just that. It's the section of the exhaust that starts from the end of the catpipe (midpipe as mentioned above) and goes to the muffler.
An "axleback" exhaust is just the portion starting from the axle back to the muffler... NOT including the midpipe.
The midpipe is the only difference between the two. :)

If you're looking to make power in the future, go with the catback. If you just want some noise for now, stick with the axleback.

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea I am just looking to get that rumble. I am going to get some of the ebay replica headers and put them on my car. I know the difference between equal length and un-equal length. (Rumble = un-equal length)

I was just curious about the two though.

Does the midpipe with a catback exhaust really serve any purpose? what would the difference between the stock and after market pipe be?

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the midpipe with a catback exhaust really serve any purpose? what would the difference between the stock and after market pipe be?
anyone? This is going to help me decide on what exhaust I should get. A catback system or axleback system.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Mid pipes only really need to be replaced if you are going catless or getting a HFC, IMHO. If your just getting borlas and a muffler, then dont worry about gettin a catback, stick with an axleback and save money.

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool. thanks! i'll do that then. I want a HFC, but I don't know if they are street legal in CA so i'll just go that route

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
yea I am just looking to get that rumble. I am going to get some of the ebay replica headers and put them on my car. I know the difference between equal length and un-equal length. (Rumble = un-equal length)

I was just curious about the two though.

I have borla reps and a cheap muffler on there for now and I'm getting that sexy ruuuuumble! This will suffice if you don't have the money for a full exhaust. Look into the prodrive axleback exhaust that is for sale on here, it sounds really sexy!

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
I say just got for the axleback. No use spending money on a midpipe right now. Save it or spend it on something else like a lightweight pulley. If you upgrade the rest of your exhaust (headers and cat) later, then you might want to get a midpipe. Until then, save instead.

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have borla reps and a cheap muffler on there for now and I'm getting that sexy ruuuuumble! This will suffice if you don't have the money for a full exhaust. Look into the prodrive axleback exhaust that is for sale on here, it sounds really sexy!
where is that prodrive axleback right now? is it forsale on the actual forum? Thats pretty much what I'll do for now. The borla reps and an axleback. If I decide I want the HFC, i'll get the midpipe at that time to.

I say just got for the axleback. No use spending money on a midpipe right now. Save it or spend it on something else like a lightweight pulley. If you upgrade the rest of your exhaust (headers and cat) later, then you might want to get a midpipe. Until then, save instead.
What are some good lightweight pulleys to look into? I have looked around with not much luck.

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will that fit a 05' RS though?!?! If so, I'll jump on it. I sent that guy a PM

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
My guess is a flange might need to be rotated and one of the hangers might need relocated. Nothing a muffler can't do for cheap.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
I just found this pic for an 05 prodrive. Looks the same as the one that's for sale

My bad this was for an 06

·
Premium Member
2007 FXT Sport
4,597 Posts
Also the mid-pipe could be a different size than your stock pipe... so keep that in mind as well for choosing a cat-back vs axle-back. Personally it depends on how much I was spending.

If I was getting a cheap axle-back (say <$200), I would just get a muffler shop to weld on a mid-pipe. Cheap solution!

If I was getting something more expensive (say >$200), I would just cough up the extra dough for the system. Gotta pay to play!

That being said, I would never pay more than $600 for an exhaust, that's nuts to me.!

I'm running with the Borla rep. headers, stock cat, muffler shop 2.25" pipe, and borla muffler. It sound quite awesome I must admit. Soon I want to upgrade to a dual tip Stromung, but I can't decide whether to go axle-back or not since I already have the mid-pipe.

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also the mid-pipe could be a different size than your stock pipe... so keep that in mind as well for choosing a cat-back vs axle-back. Personally it depends on how much I was spending.

If I was getting a cheap axle-back (say <$200), I would just get a muffler shop to weld on a mid-pipe. Cheap solution!

If I was getting something more expensive (say >$200), I would just cough up the extra dough for the system. Gotta pay to play!

That being said, I would never pay more than $600 for an exhaust, that's nuts to me.!

I'm running with the Borla rep. headers, stock cat, muffler shop 2.25" pipe, and borla muffler. It sound quite awesome I must admit. Soon I want to upgrade to a dual tip Stromung, but I can't decide whether to go axle-back or not since I already have the mid-pipe.
I have to agree whole heartedly.. I am going to get the Borla rep. headers, I'll run the stock cat for now (UNSURE if an aftermarket cat would be legal in CA), stock mid-pipe, and a Stromung 3.5" axle back from boxer4racing.com.

I figgure it will give a good sound and tone.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
I'm running the stock cats right now, stock midpipe and a cheap muffler with borla reps and my rumble is niiiiiiiice!! That will work. I'll get you a video if you want when I get a chance?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts