Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the its a illegal to alter or remove an original (and fuctional) catalytic converter for street use.

Has anyone actually got in trouble for changing to an aftermarket cat?

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
My understanding is that it's not a problem so long as there is actually a functioning cat on the car, as opposed to just a "test pipe" or a blank, but I could be wrong. Hate to sound dorky, buy you may want to check with your local authorities.:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
call o.d.o.t. and see what they have to say. try this number, it was listed as odot customer service 1-888-275-6368. if that's not the right one they should be able to give it to you.
my guess is they might want you to smog test it after install and see if it still passes.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Everyone I know just whacks the stock cat with a huge chunk of wood or metal and takes a few good pics of it for evidence that it was damaged by road debris.:checkit:

You have to sign a waiver to replace it anyway, so I would say that the chances of getting in trouble for doing it are pretty darn slim.

I'm not a lawyer, so YMMV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quoting from Random's site (they make a high flow for the 99-01 2.5).

http://www.randomtechnology.com/subaru.html

"Under Federal EPA regulation, replacement of original catalytic converters is allowed only if the original converter(s) is missing, or the vehicle has more than 50,000 miles or is at least five years old and the need for a replacement has been established and documented, or a local inspection program has determined the existing converter is in need of replacement."

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
... and if you live in CA, add to that the requirement of the new cat being CARB-approved :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
And there's that lovely bill going through our fantastic legislature right now giving CARB even more power. Like the power to implement new taxes, like +$.50 per gallon of gas, +$.02 per mile you drive, and a couple more I can't think of at the moment. Yay CARB!:barf:

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
It might depend on your state too. In Ohio the have the useless E-check emmisions testing. The only thing they do to check the cat is look under the car. They don't even bend over to look, they just take a mirror and look for it. I am planning on taking the cat out and putting a straight pipe on it. Then taking an old cat, cut the top from the bottom and strap it to the new pipe for e-check purposes. Then if it passes good, if not I will go home put the cat back on and go to another testing facility. If you don't pass they just tell you to get it fixed and come back. Plus you only have to get it done every two years. I also want to get it dyno'ed bofore and after the cat is removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In Mass its even worse. They actually put the car on a rolling dyno and check the emissions at 2500 rpms. I have yet to see them do it with an AWD car although I'm sure they have a way to do it. I've see people get cars rejected because thier gas cap didn't pass a pressure check. It's all computerized and goes directly to the RMV so its though to get around. You also have to go to the same place that failed you the first time to get inspected again AND you're supposed to get you car repaired at and authorized RMV repair station the is certified to repair cars that were failed during inspection. What a freaking scam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts