Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I picked up this Stromung mid pipe. In the photo you see that the cat is bent and not sitting right in the mid pipe. Now is my cat flange bent? Or am I missing something? Also have exhaust leak from it. Keep in mind this came off a 25rs cat back system. Mines a 2.2L that wouldn’t have to do with anything? Let me know. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
378 Posts
That's how it sits. The stromung exhaust is designed to be used as a headerback system in multiple parts. It isn't an OEM part so aftermarket parts don't always line up perfectly or look like they belong.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
378 Posts
If it’s stuck on there you need to scrape it off. Any uneven surface between the two pipes can cause an exhaust leak. The pipes should fit flush against eachother, and the gasket helps seal them together and tp keep them sealed when they heat up and ever so slightly expand.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza L wagon, EJ25D swap
56 Posts
Usually the gasket used with that flange is a flange gasket which allows the pipes to seal while not being perfectly lined up to each other. What I would recommend is replacing that gasket as well as coating it with copper RTV to seal it even further. This is what the correct gasket looks like for reference.
Tire Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Circle

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I have a new oem gasket. I really don’t think it’s the gasket. But I will take the old one off and replace it with the new one today. The cat and mid pipe just doesn’t want to sit flush. It is a pain doing this on your back but I’ll try to get it done.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza L wagon, EJ25D swap
56 Posts
Yes I have a new oem gasket. I really don’t think it’s the gasket. But I will take the old one off and replace it with the new one today. The cat and mid pipe just doesn’t want to sit flush. It is a pain doing this on your back but I’ll try to get it done.
I would highly suggest using copper rtv on the gasket so you're 100% certain its sealed.
Brown Liquid Personal care Font Electric blue

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza OBS
14 Posts
I had a similar issue when I installed my inferno fab headers to my brullen exhaust and I had an exhaust leak too, what I did to make it fit is I cut off the original flange and I added a flexible one to get that perfect fitment. I’ll take a picture of it this afternoon to show you my setup.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got a email back from Stromung. This is what they said:
“That pipe was designed for the 99-05 Impreza 2.5L. In 99 they changed the flange to a larger one so if you have a 98 it wont seat on that smaller gasket.”

So looks like I’m SOL.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
378 Posts
Yeah there's usually that round gasket posted above that helps seal the two pipes together. I personally hate messing around with exhaust pieces and usually give up and weld them. We did one car that had a one-piece exhaust from the headers to the muffler and it was a breeze to unbolt and slide out from under the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts