Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first time posting on a forum, so please forgive me for any mistakes. I've just bought my first car! A 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. I got it for a cheap price because of one major flaw. The catalytic converter is clogged. The car doesn't like to run and the cat gets hot in about 40 min of running/driving. It runs when parked... Sometimes. So I need to either change the catalytic converter out or straight pipe it. This is where I need some advice. I live in Alberta Canada and the car is not yet registered or insured. But it has a clean title and has been registered and insured before. I've done a little research and found out this so far:

Cat pros:
-Good for planet!
-More power bby? (donut media fans?)
-Easy to install (I think, it's just a bolt on... Right?)
Cat Cons:
-Expensive
-Boring
-Unreliable
Straight Pipe Pros
-Possibly some cracks and pops from exhaust?
-Cheap! I like cheap, I'm working part time at minimum wage
Straight Pipe Cons:
-Loud?
-Bad for my car?
-Might fail inspection?

As you can see from all the question marks I have found a lot of conflicting information. Some sources say cat, while others are for a straight pipe. Help please!

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,651 Posts
Its definitely louder snd might fail inspection without a cat but its cheap and easy enough to give it a shot. I would personally just replace the cat with a used one but Im old and enjoy my quiet car.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2009 STi
17 Posts
Catless also smells bad. I'm going catted on my daily because I don't want to smell funky fumes all the time. Plus, it'll reduce confusion around burning oil which our cars do a lot of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Catless also smells bad. I'm going catted on my daily because I don't want to smell funky fumes all the time. Plus, it'll reduce confusion around burning oil which our cars do a lot of.
This is what I dislike about the catless, smell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OP here in VA it would definitely fail inspection. When I needed one I was able to find a used one off another forum for cheeeeeeap. Usually you can find people offloading them after they've swapped theirs out. Better to get it running the right way and inspected/"road worthy" and go from there. That way when you buy the straight pipe and realize you hate it you can always swap it back out!

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done a ton of work since I posted this thread, turns out the previous owner was very very wrong. I pulled the cat out and discovered that it has already been properly gutted. It was actually a bad coil distributer that was causing a lot of major issues. It's been replaced and the car is now registered, insured and back on the road!

I've got a build thread here:
Super Cheap 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS Rally Build

1 - 8 of 8 Posts