Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
04jbp STi, 93L+01 RS, 08 zx10R
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my dad wanted to take it to Teape of Hurst...We did. And its gonna cost about 800 for all that..

800$ to replace the engine mounts, change a belt, and get rid of the new knocking in my engine which happend when they changed the belt. And the temp gauge needs to be replaced they said cause its leaking. They wanted to change the timing belt to...but thats fine, they just wanted to do it.

If this were you...and you had to spend the 800 would you just keep going on what you have and save the money for a 2.0 swap.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
687 Posts
:wtf: can you clarify what you are saying?

edit: oo I see....it started knocking after they put the new belt in? thats strange...how do they plan on getting rid of that knocking?

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
I'm starting off by saying it would really help the people trying to help you if you didn't make such cryptic posts and thread titles.

Either way, it sounds like the knocking you described is just a misaligned timing belt and they're tacking on a bunch of other un-needed stuff.

Do you have an itemized list of what they have to do? Also, why do you have to change your engine mounts?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well basically...I'm not paying for this. My dad is out of the goodness of his heart. But personally I think he's being taken for a ride. The engine was shaking bad because the engine mounts were loose....so I'm pretty sure they talked him into just changing them instead of tightening them down......All it needed when I took it in was a new belt for the air conditioner cause it was squeaking when it was on, and to look at the engine mounts. And now all this.

The list as far as I'm aware right now..I'm about to call him and them is..

New Engine Mounts
New thermostat
New AC Belt

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Temp gauge meaning a thermostat? I'm not quite sure what you/your mechanic is referring to here.

If the engine mounts were loose, save for a damaged mount, I don't see any need to replace them. It's as simple as re-tightening them. Same with the belt.

The only reason to replace it is if the belt is cracked and stretched. You can tighten that to get rid of the sound as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah by temp gauge I ment thermostat sorry about that.

But yeah thats what I said..they just needed to be tightened.

I just called my dad back and they've replaced the engine mounts the thermostat, the compressor belt. But since they replaced the belt, cause the belt was loose (instead of tightening it cause I'm sure it was fine they just want more money.) They now are replacing the compressor.

1400 is the estimate. I think we're being taken.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
you are definitely being taken. I'm sorry to give you this news, but it seems like you already knew.

Where are you located? It is almost always cheaper and better to goto a specialized Subaru shop like any of the vendors on here or NASIOC. There is a much lower chance they will take you for a ride because their reputation is under question on the forums. This is where they, and we(ECS Performance), get a lot of our customers from.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
I see now :)

Yes I agree with Aphex... Get your car out of there ASAP and take it somewhere else... If you need just let your dad read this thread, 1400 is unbelivable

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's too late hes already authorized it and they are doing it or w/e =/ they've already done all the stuff except replacing the compressor.

You'd think a Subaru dealership wouldn't be such greedy pigs

·
Registered
stm99,flatblack99,07sti,blk98
566 Posts
thats crazy thermostat is maybe 15 bucks and belts tops 30 timing belt and waterpump gc tops 200.im sorry hurts. to read this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts