OEM Compass Pack
ATI Dual Gauge Pod
HKS Boost Gauge w/ Vent Pod

Brakes & Suspension:

JDM STI 4 Pots
SHOWA STI Struts & Gymkhana Springs
JDM GC8 Aluminum Front LCA’s

Goodies en route:
A few bulbs...nothing too exciting this week.

She’s got some quarter rust which may get addressed at some point. Kinda deciding on how far to take a 200k shell. Car has been in MI/WI area most of its life. Undercarriage looks really clean up front. I may have to address the rear subframe before next winter. Deciding if it’s getting Subie Saver panels or flares at this point.

Back story on this is that it started life as an RS Auto. A front clip was purchased and everything swapped on and wired by a few close friends who I imagine will chime in here as they frequent this forum.

Side note: I haven’t owned a coupe since 2006.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very Nice !
Thanks all!!

Engine is out!

Lots of cool things with the Ej20k. The power steering has a separate cooling line that runs in front of the radiator. The v4 STi radiator and fans are really beefy. Outside of having plastic end caps for the tank it looks like you could chuck it out the window and it would still hold.

Bought a replacement engine on Friday but it doesn’t sound like it made out before the weekend. We have snow rapidly approaching so this may get delayed for rain as I’m on my back in the drive.

PO has some GReddy Coils on it. I’m planning to sell them in favor of a spring strut combo.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out with the old...

In with the new!

It has some adjustable rear trailing arms as well. I believe their gods speed or something of the like.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more corner I may have to address...PO installed some eBay adjustable lateral links. I don’t have a lot of faith in these.

I’m not sure I want to have an alignment done on these arms. I’m really certain I don’t want to touch the Jesus bolt but might be sourcing some JDM Aluminum lateral links.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Swapping manifolds from the old engine, she’s not wanting to fire. I know the 97/98 Imprezas had some odd things swapped between harnesses so I’m thinking this is the best bet since it ran fine with all the other goodies plugged in. Should have gaskets this evening. Working up motivation to work on it in 20°. :/ I keep reminding myself that I’m getting an RSTi for Xmas. Haha

I’m thinking about ordering a JUN Replica lip for spring. I think it looks really nice with the fluted fogs, corners and headlights. might need some rear spats too.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha fighting the cold is a PITA, sweet updates.
Thanks!!No garage to speak of either. I’m glad we’ve had a few warmer days for the harder work. Currently waiting for it to get above 30° so I can finish swapping over the manifold from the old engine. It would turn over but didn’t want to fire. I know these 97/98s (at least in the n/a platform) were notorious for having all the same connectors but changing the pin outs on a few of the harnesses. I’m not going to putz with it in the snow, decided to swap the parts I know are functional over before I spend time with troubleshooting.

I hope to have it running and bled this afternoon but progress has been slow.

Swapped the leather shift boot for an accordion style I had lying around. Adds an element of nostalgia for me.

Picking up some seats as soon as I know she’s going to run well. Have a line on some heated 05 WRX F&R Seats. I want JDM seats but I’m not seeing anything reasonably prices...’‘tis the season I suppose.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
If you can, test fit some newer seats before buying. I put GD STI seats in my 95 and HATED the way they sit higher and seem to lean forward more. It made the cabin feel very cramped, and I'm barely 6'. Even with the high adjustment all the way down it was still way too high. I'd recommend holding out for GC seats.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You’re definitely correct on the height difference and I’m not a fan either. Wanted JDM seats but I’m not seeing any reasonably priced sets ATM. I do have a set of of seat rails I could swap over from a parts car but another project...

These came in the mail!

New corners too! Need a few bulbs.

Engine fired right up! Shuts down after a few seconds. I must have an intake tract leak somewhere. Always something...

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She’s Alive!! Brakes are making a little noise and she needs a few bulbs but other than that she’s roadworthy! I’ll take everything apart and clean them tomorrow. Should be played early next week!

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats! She's a beaut, gotta love goldies on black. Great work!
Thanks!! The Goldie’s are on winter tires. I have a set of GramLites that will fit...just need some paint/powder coat.

Thinking a bronze would look nice. Interior is next. Still no JDM. :/

·
Registered
2001, Impreza 2.5 RS
30 Posts
Man nice car! You are braver than I out there swapping motors in the cold. Nice work.

I've got a local friend with a pair of GC STI seats he's selling for like $350 CDN. Let me know if you want his details!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts