Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Decided to stop looking at a pile of parts this week. Here’s my progress thus far!

Trading one pile for another...

Dropped the pump and subframe together. Seemed to save a little in the mess.

This Phase 1 ATX is likely worth absolutely nothing. I’ll be posting the axles and what not soon enough.

So bare...

Front subframe and trans installed!

Got the rear diff in too...wish some of these parts were a little cleaner. Such is life in the rust belt.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Still playing with these lateral link bolts on the rear hubs...what a joke. Looking like I’ll be drilling them out.

Decided to trade in the v4 (4/1 pot) set-up for Brembos. Deciding if they’re getting painted or not...

Picked up an STi rear sway bar too. Hopefully this will start coming together a little easier from here. :)

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
295 Posts
Those bolts are the worst. Had to cut them off when doing my Forester. Everything goes back together much smoother!

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Those bolts are the worst. Had to cut them off when doing my Forester. Everything goes back together much smoother!

I’ve got one on its way out. The other I’ve just started cutting. The rear backing plates are toast, the ebrake pads are too. Debating on rebuilding these with new bearings, one might be shot anyways. Hate to fix what’s not broken but I really don’t want to be back in this corner of the car any time soon.

In other news the 1.8L I had planned to slap back in is leaking from the head gasket. Now I’m forced to slap it back in and go till the gasket finally gives, or spend money on an engine worth about $100 on a good day. Yea!

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Still on the fence as the whether I will be doing the headgasket on the old engine. Leaning toward throwing it back together as is. The gaskets cost $35/side. Even though I don’t want her to smoke I’ll likely just drop the old engine back in till swap time.

Bought some lower mile hubs. I’ll play with getting the others apart over winter.

Certainly a lot better than this...

Lots more cutting to go and the axle is stuck in the hub. But that’s for another day. I have the hubs on the car and everything connected but the brake lines as I had to grab them off the old hubs. Pics to come of Brembos, Show Struts and STi Aluminum bits.

Also picked up and SVX Master Cylinder and I’m trying to source a JDM non-ABS proportioning valve from a v1-3 STi to dual in the brake bias. Possibly a MCB if I can verify the ones for the early Imprezas will fit with the SVX MC.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
Full headgasket and timing job is a couple hundred bucks and an evening of putzing. Why wouldn't you replace them?

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Full headgasket and timing job is a couple hundred bucks and an evening of putzing. Why wouldn't you replace them?
It’s on the 1.8L that came in the car. I imagine that block is worth about $100-150 on a good day.

Planning engine and harness merge next and the car is not likely to be driven more than a handful of times in between. Timing was done on the engine before I got it but the only purpose of this engine would probably be to move it in and out of the garage and to a show or two within 40min. Just feels like throwing away money and time to do gaskets on an engine that is seeping and will probably only see another 200 miles in my possession.

It’s going to bother me that it smokes but I’m hoping to use that to motivate me to keep moving on the swap.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts