Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Finally got her off of stands today after bleeding the brakes and a few other bolt ons. Lots more to come but I sold my DD so I’ll be in this for the summer.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
What's rice about it? All I see is one classy wagon, it looks great! I feel your pain with the tan...

I do hate you a little for those wheel arches... guess I just have to find a car from Florida then. :p

+1 for H6 goodness!

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Looks damn nice.

I'd hate to have to roll that for the summer!

**said sarcastically**

Thank you! Hoping to pick up another car before winter is all. I’m sure I’ll miss the power of my STi but not the premium fuel and insurance.

What's rice about it? All I see is one classy wagon, it looks great! I feel your pain with the tan...

I do hate you a little for those wheel arches... guess I just have to find a car from Florida then.

+1 for H6 goodness!

R.I.C.E. - Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements. Till she has some power mods we’re classy but still kinda in this category. She’ll be faster one day but for now I think I’ll enjoy the stress relief of not having a turbo vehicle for a time.

I definitely recommend southern cars. The PO even went so far as to undercoat. I’m having to uncover bolts to break them lose and finding they still have zinc coating.

The H6 has also become a bit of a mixed bag. If you ever want turbo we’re pretty much talking stand-alone and forged internals. Deciding if I can leave it alone...unlikely.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
I know what rice is, I just don't see it. Sporty for sure, but isn't everything OEM Subaru non-turbo stuff? Hey if you say it's rice, well it's your car. :D I just hope you're not concerned about it because it does look great.

And I hear ya on the H6+boost... I've done a TON of reading on it over the past several years, and I'll probly test out how far a stock ez30d can go someday. Perrin got a stock(iirc) ez30r to like 12 or 14 psi from a good sized turbo before bending rods! Have you put any thought into power stuff yet? Just curious...:projectsti.com:

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I believe I also read the ez30s have hollow cams. The eg33 has its own bag of gremlins as well. I personally think the eg33 is much much cooler of an engine but the plug and play nature of the ez30 makes the bay look stock.

I guess I’m deciding whether turbo is the cards for this one...as it’s definitely no less work. I just always struggle not swinging for the fences... one day I’m thinking ez30 is the bees knees and the next day is a v7/v8 ej207 w/ a billet wheel twin scroll vf. Even an ej205 gives more room for growth. Lol

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I also picked this up last month to flip...but now I’m not so sure...

Decision decisions...I’ll probably do the headgaskets on it and decide, from there, if there’s interest in the platform.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,740 Posts
I had one of those. Same color and everything. Was a 5 speed model which has the exact drivetrain as an '01 RS. Plan was to keep it around so I could swap everything from the car that will never be finished into it when I crash the car that will never be finished. I still cling to the 'Plug and play' 400hp dream. I did end up selling the twin to your car though. Not because it was a bad car, but because my buddy who was daily driving it doesn't know how to check oil.

That generation of outback is awesome. They make for a great DD.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
Too bad those don't come standard, I'd say swap it to a 5 speed then you've got one badass wagon!

Hollow cams eh? Haven't heard that before... sounds like it'd be good for high rpms, no? Maybe a high comp/high revs N/A build for an ez30? I think I'm just addicted to the flat six sound:drool:

I definitely intend to try to boost my SVX!

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
^^I think he meant the H6. And I agree it should have come in manual. EDM are the only ones that had a H6/MT and that was their (BL) SpecB.

I’m told there is enough torque to not need to apply any gas when letting your foot off the gas in first and second. Like you can start in second just letting out the clutch, no throttle.

In reference to the hollow cams I believe they become a weak point post turbo. Seems like the ez30d is a great engine to just drive. The eg33 has the potential for modification...at an expense.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
I used to daily an 01 LGT sedan ez30d swapped with a 4.11 5speed. Plenty of torque, used to start in second all day.
Best. Car. Ever.

Sorry for jacking your thread :run:

Edit, did specifically mean the 01 to 04 H6 outback

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
You’re fine. Still needing encouragement. Lol

Replaced all four speakers w/ some Memphis speakers from Crutchfield. They were cheap but have decent range in combination with a Pioneer 8200NEX. I have an amp and components for up front but there’s no spot for s tweeter in the first gen Interior so I opted for these or to only listen to talk radio, as it seems that’s all the original speakers were catering only to those frequencies.

Changed the oil after a year of sitting too. Went Valvoline VR1 20w50. Never had an engine that straight weight oil was recommended. Lol

Hopefully I can remember to pick up a few more pieces from the body shop and get her buttoned up...at least aesthetically. Still have some time to invest.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Two steps forward, two steps back.

Got my RS mirrors on and the white vs the old black L mirrors is night and day to me.

Picked up the remaining bits I thought I needed for the rear upper wing...

...but after closer inspection i apparently have an aftermarket wing and not be of the OE hardware is usable with it. And being that I’m not going to silicone it on I’m in pursuit of an OBS wing.

I’m half tempted to drill the glass put helicoil inserts in the holes in the wing. I’d have to drill through the glass of the hatch to mount them though. :/

It’s too bad too...because the test fit looked pretty nice!

I’m pretty sure one of my cheap ass speakers is blown already too.

Got it aligned yesterday and it appears tires may be on the docket a bit sooner than expected as well. Getting a bit of vibration above 60mph but it seems to be intermittent.

Also decided to have the JDM roof rack powder coated. That should be back soon looking fresh!

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Finally got her cleaned up. Still have a mild vibration up front that I need to look into. Probably just something I forgot to tighten.

In any case, I pulled the engine on an H6 car I bought a few months ago. And it just so happens I stumbled on a deal I couldn’t pass up on an GF6 MT parts car. So I have the harness I need to run the 00-01 RS Dash and all the parts for a MT swap. Car is pretty beat to hell beyond that. Not much usable.

That does give me the parts needed to do the H6 swap but I find myself dragging my feet. I guess I’ve not talked myself out of turbo entirely...she may be getting a snail...

The H6 is probably going back in the Outback so I don’t have to drive a freshly painted car in the snow. I’ll sell this in tax season.

And here’s the Battle Camry...in all her glory.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
OB is back on the road and needs a few small things. No help making this car look much better though. Lol FXT wheels did help.

Should have my upper wing and fog covers back this week!

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Here’s another pic or two from the summer...

I’ve got adjustable Showas coming in another week. Not sure if I’ll swap before the spring as I had it aligned and will likely need eccentric camber bolts and other things I’m not eager to spend the money on.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Apparently this year is going to purely cosmetic...kinda knew that going on as I’ve been making decisions on the engine swap and gathering parts.

I plan to start piecing and building from the subframes up this winter. The subframes in these early GC/GFs are super flimsy. Can’t wait to have this car set-up on sticky tires. Even with the 1.8L it’ll be moar fun.

Had an issue with the eBay front Spats. Not super unexpected but even with adhesion promoters my paint guy can’t get anything to stick to the imitation bugeye three piece...

Any minor flexing causes the primer to lift and I’m done spending money on prep. Watching for an OE version or other lip to catch my eye in the meantime.

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Already painted the skirts. I could do a smaller lip and leave it black but I’ll eventually paint it either way. Just something that would bother me.

Sifting through crooober and eBay.uk to watch for something unique. I’m not in a rush...car probably won’t be driven till spring.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts