Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Buschur'ed EVO VIII
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 x 12" IDQ subs with about 300Watts going to each right now and my trunk lid rattles like a mofo with no sound deadening. I've already ripped out my rear deck speakers and removed the plastic/rubber barriers behind the rear seats in an attempt to let more sound pass into the cabin but it seems to be a losing cause. I've also tightened down the trunk release latch mechanism as much as I can. Part of the problem is the subs fire straight up, from the custom spare tire well enclosure, into the underside of the trunk lid right now.

I was either going to go all out and get it deadened professionally for hundreds of dollars or perhaps try a carbon fibre trunk lid and deaden it slightly on my own using premium products (ie. brown bread). Will carbon fibre be inherently more resistant to vibrations and be more at ease in such a violent environment?

Leaning up upon the trunk lid from the outside when the subs are going has me wondering if any amount of sound deadening will do the trick.

Of course, I could redesign the whole sound system... hmmm...

·
Registered
Blue 99 2.5RS, blue 02 wrx wag
83 Posts
Carbon fiber seeing that it is lighter than steel will probably vibrate as much or more. What's really happening is that all of the energy coming out of those subs is shooting strait into your trunk lid. If you want to stay with your current sub set up try dynamating the underside wich you can do easily yourself or redo your subs so that they are pointing into your rear seat. You could also fire your subs up through your rear deck via a port or loading chamber.

·
Registered
2000 RS
15 Posts
dynamating or putting those sticky sound deadeners on my trunk lid don't work much. the spoiler of the 2000 rs still adds a lot of rattling noise. i would rather remove the spoiler or get a new lid without a spoiler. i tried loosening and tightening the trunk lid latch too. didn't get rid of the rattles. i got 2 12 inch infinity on my trunk facing the rear. using jbl 600.1BP amp. im thinking of putting my subs in the cabin. its a losing battle all right.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza W"RS"X BRP
189 Posts
Remove the hood and spray the dynamat in a can all in between the hood's bracing...I had 2 JL 10w6 with 1100watts on them and never had any rattles except for my license plate...I solved that with some adhesive foam...

Zee

·
at apex, on throttle
'99 RS, '02 Legacy, '10 'beca
1,184 Posts
do the subee-sound.com side panel enclosures.. That's my plan once I get the RS... oh and once I can find a CF trunk too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried by 2 10" JL's in a sealed enclosure, powered by only 200 wrms and they rattled my GC8 like crazy. When facing back, I got all sorts of rattles out of the back side. When I put them towards the cabin, the cabin had a bunch of rattles but the trunk didn't (for the most part). Problem is that when they face forward, you hear the rattles in the car more so (at least I found it this way) than when facing backwards. Its quite embarrasing to have rattles outside the car, regardless if you can't hear them. Its just cheapens any ride when it rattles like a mofo. At the end of it all, I now have a 10" Kicker Comp VR in a ported box facing backwards (slightly angled up) powered by 300 wrms. Damn rattles ... :eek:

Keenan

·
Registered
Buschur'ed EVO VIII
367 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts