Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Impreza RS 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '02 RS 2.5 in to the dealer (have had it one week) to get the "carbon fiber" upgrade (the silver plastic around the radio console and the black plastic around the window controls get replaced by a slick looking pattern design) as well as an arm-rest extension install.

Apparently the carbon fiber kit required removing the whole dash to get it installed. The procedure went fine I presume--all looks tightly back together (if but for a slight scratch in two places where a screwdriver was clearly used to pry off parts of the old plastic...odd how they would let such a mark be left--but it's small). But that sounds like a big procedure, removing the dash.

Is it likely that all IS back ok? Did I somehow do some harm in getting this installed (by subaru dealer) or am I likely good to go? I asked the guy (not sure if he did the work, unlikely) if things usually go back together ok and he said "oh yea" but that on 10+ year old cars, sometimes a procedure like this would be troublesome.

Am I good to go, would it seem?

Thanks.

Just paranoid,

blakespot

·
Registered
2.5 RS
169 Posts
Got any pics of the work? I didn't even know the dealer did thigns like that.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
OK, I am the guy who does this kind of work at my dealership. They do not "take the whole dash out". We just pull off the old pieces and replace them with the CF parts. ALL of the parts that you got replaced just pop off. You don't have to worry about weather or not the dash was put in correctly. You would have to be REALLY stupid to mess up this job. The arm rest extention is also only 2 screws. If you do any type of mods like this in the future PM me and I will let you know how to do them yourself instead of paying the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2002 Impreza RS 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TMRRALLY said:
OK, I am the guy who does this kind of work at my dealership. They do not "take the whole dash out". We just pull off the old pieces and replace them with the CF parts. ALL of the parts that you got replaced just pop off. You don't have to worry about weather or not the dash was put in correctly. You would have to be REALLY stupid to mess up this job. The arm rest extention is also only 2 screws. If you do any type of mods like this in the future PM me and I will let you know how to do them yourself instead of paying the dealership.
Odd. It took almost 2 hours for them to do this work (I was not watching them) and the head or coordinator of the service dept. indicated that it was a big job, required removing the dash. Was he just full of shit? I did see a screwdriver scratch or two that would be consistent with prying of the parts off, which irritated me a bit.

blakespot

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Did you pay for the labor?? Was it a part of the deal on the car??

OK this is how it works, Subaru (or you dealer) will set a labor time and that is what you get charged no matter how long it takes to do the job. If book hours are, 2 hours, and it takes the tech 15 minutes you still get charged for 2 hours. This is the nice thing about the dealership I work at, I was hired to do just this kind of work and I set my own times. This means you will most likely only get charged the time it takes me to do the job, not "book time".

also they should know enough to not use big screw drivers to pull the parts off.

There Is NO reason to pull the dash out for ANY dealer installed parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm looking to get a CF kit for my 98 OUtback Sport and was wondering how I could get the parts for the vents and for the dash surround? I got a kit for center console with 3M tape on it, all I had to do was wipe off with alcohol and expose the adhesive strips.

If there is a kit that works a bit differently, I'd still be interested in buying it, but not real interested in paying for the dealers guys to put it on. I know how the "minimum time" system works, and my dealer really uses it.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts