Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking into converting the front of the old L to something a tad more aggressive since it's actually quick now. i think i'm going to start with the hood/lights/grill. i saw a pic of a '94 with everything changed over and the stock bumper still in place, and it looked really good. understated, but still aggressive. a sleeper, but not too sleepy.

soooo, now my debate is whether i want to go to a regular RS hood, or a carbon one. my primary purpose for doing this (aside from the obvious aesthetic benefit) is to get some proper ventilation for my engine so my intake isn't bogging in the heat when summer rolls around. i'd go with the carbon hood, but i have a few concerns:

- safety: carbon fiber doesn't bend like metal in a crash, and i'd really HATE for my hood to come shearing through my windshield and decapitate me or someone else. although my subaru would be wrecked, i still think i'd like to go on living. :lol:

- theft/vandalism: drivers of other cars aren't exactly keen on subarus as of late, and i think a c/f hood might attract the wrong kind of attention parked somewhere. not that i park in unsafe areas, but with the way people are anymore...

- the sleeper factor would be gone...not a big concern, but still...

- hood pins. i hate hood pins.

- it might look silly on my color car...not sure. pics.

the advantages to the hood would be obviously lighter weight, not having to get it painted so it ends up being slightly cheaper, and i think c/f would be a better conductor and allow better transfer of heat, since it is black and also doesn't reflect like metal. correct me if i'm wrong there (made sense to me). plus it IS carbon fiber. :drool: :D so if anyone knows where i can get one that doesn't require hood pins, and can assuage my fears of putting one on my car...

-adam-

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
Not sure where to get them, but get a good one. Lots of people have had CF hoods turn yellowish from engine heat. A friend of mine bought one that was about $200-$300 dollars more than most, but they gauranteed it not to discolor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts