Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5rs
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 subaru 2.5rs and so I went to my first job and car started fine, left first job to second job it started fine, car would not start when I was trying to leave second job so I had some of my coe workers to roll start me to get it to start. (I did have bad misfires though before hand)
So far my battery tested 12.8v, about the same going into my starter also, checked all grounds and good that I can see, fuses all good. replaced starter with a good one i had laying around and will only get one click, no constant clicks. I do not know where else to check? Maybe check sparkplugs? could it be my crankshaft sensor that I replaced 1year ago going bad?

I am trying to get this fixed as I am waiting on register and license for my STI to come in.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, '00 911 Cab, '18 CT6 TT, '04 Escalade ESV
5,497 Posts
The first thing I usually look at is the positive battery cable, they get corroded and/or just fall apart on 20 year old subarus. Sometimes the battery can show enough voltage but the positive power wire to the starter doesnt have a secure enough connection to spin the starter. Only one click points toward not enough power getting to the starter. Also, how many miles are on the car and when was the alternator replaced? Does it have any aftermarket electrical systems? (Sound system, hardwired mods, etc)

·
Registered
99 2.5rs
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car has 150k on it, alternator was never replaced as i recall, car is stock, only has hid kit on. But how would it affect the altenator if it is not getting enough power to starter.

I will take the battery positive wire cover off if i see anything

(Sorry the battery was replaced like last week too)

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,497 Posts
If your car turned over and ran twice in one day, and then suddenly isn’t turning over, it could be that the alternator isnt recharging the battery enough in between drives (which i assume are rather short). If the car works with a jumpstart, idles for 30 minutes, and then wont restart after turning it off then it is safe to say either the battery isnt holding a charge or the alternator is not charging the car. It could be just slightly undercharging enough to keep the car from starting. Ive also had the same issue as you and after replacing the battery, starter, and alternator I found out that it was simply the connector of the positive battery cable that was corroded/loose.

if you replaced the battery a week ago like you said, I would safely assume it is because the previous one died on you. If the alternator isnt charging your new battery effectively, then you’ll only be able to drive it a few times before it is too low on power to turn the starter.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
But even when I installed the new battery it never started? It still had that one click noise only. Car did not start only one click even when I tired jumpstart it. I had to roll start(dump the clutch) to start it since it’s a manual to get home which is 20-25min to get home. But once I get home shut the car off and try to turn car on again I get the one click.

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,497 Posts
if everything works fine when you jump start it, there is a problem with power getting to the starter. It’s common sense and process of elimination. Whether you have an issue with the ignition side (key to starter ignition wire) or power side (positive cable to starter) you aren’t getting the right current for the starter to spin. If the starter worked it would just click or crank endlessly. You can test the starter by jumping power directly to it.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
184 Posts
The starter is pretty easy to remove - ground, positive terminal, and 2 bolts then pull it off and rotate it out. Auto zone or advance auto will check it for free. Easy enough to check after you've established that voltage to starter is correct, as members have suggested checking first. Check your voltage with the car running. 12 volt system - a good battery with the car running should be well north of 12.5 volts if the alternator is functioning properly. Hell, most of my Subarus measure closer to 14 volts when the car was running and with a newer alternator. The alternator can also be checked at previously cited locations and also fairly easy to remove. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks both of you guys for the help, I ran to a friend and borrowed his power positive harness and it worked on mine so i will be ordering a new harness sadly but on the bright side it will start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts