Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I fire up my car, it will immediately shut right back off. My clutch pedal is pushed all the way to the floor, it fires up for a split second and shuts off. It doesn't choke out or anything, just OFF. I go to fire it up a second time and it starts up just fine. I haven't really had any problems stalling or anything other than that.

It has happened a total of four times, only when starting up...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
When I fire up my car, it will immediately shut right back off. My clutch pedal is pushed all the way to the floor, it fires up for a split second and shuts off. It doesn't choke out or anything, just OFF. I go to fire it up a second time and it starts up just fine. I haven't really had any problems stalling or anything other than that.

It has happened a total of four times, only when starting up...

Any ideas?
lol this happened to me today

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
Mine did this before I swapped it, but only after the ECU was reset. Even after I picked up a new PCV valve.

Every time, after you disconnect the battery for a long while and the ECU gets reset, the first start after reconnecting the battery does that exact same thing. Starts right up normally, then dies immediately after. Start it up again and it runs fine. No struggling or anything to indicate a problem.

Everything goes back to normal until the next ECU reset, then it happens again.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ You know what, it did happen after I reconnected the battery. I wonder. But all five times its done it, I didn't have the battery in and out that many times.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still having this problem..any other ideas than the PCV valve?? I will pick one up soon.

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
lets see. do me this favor. do you have a multimeter? or voltmeter?

So it starts up and dies immediately every time. Or it does it sometimes?

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
Here is what I want you to do.

When you crank the car, slowly release the key back into the on position. Very slowly, try not to let the starter grind though. I think your ignition switch is faulty or on its way out. Your ignition coil recieves power through a separate circuit when cranking than it does when the key is in the on position. Im putting money on that the circuit in the on position isn't sending power to the coil. If this is the case, the car will run right up until the key goes into the on position.

What else you could do is crank it, release the key and let it die, but dont move the key from there. Pop that hotness of a hood of yours and put the ground lead of your meter to a good ground, probe the red lead to the coil power...see if there is power there. Looks to be green and red wire at the coil.

my aim is obeyourfast, if you have any questions.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is what I want you to do.

When you crank the car, slowly release the key back into the on position. Very slowly, try not to let the starter grind though. I think your ignition switch is faulty or on its way out. Your ignition coil recieves power through a separate circuit when cranking than it does when the key is in the on position. Im putting money on that the circuit in the on position isn't sending power to the coil. If this is the case, the car will run right up until the key goes into the on position.

What else you could do is crank it, release the key and let it die, but dont move the key from there. Pop that hotness of a hood of yours and put the ground lead of your meter to a good ground, probe the red lead to the coil power...see if there is power there. Looks to be green and red wire at the coil.

my aim is obeyourfast, if you have any questions.
I'll try this tonight or tomorrow morning and get back with you...it hasn't done it since. Grrr.

Thank you for the help! (and my hood isn't hot..for future record. c/f FTL.)

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
fuel pump?

yea i was thinking this... there is a one way valve in the fuel systems that allows it to hold pressure in the system after you turn your car off.. if its faulty it my just drain the pressure back into the tank... next couple times you start your car, turn the key on and wait for the fuel pump to prime. once it stop priming then start the car.... it should hopefully start then if thats the problem... if that doesnt work they yea i agree with checking the ignition switch

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
fuel issues would more than likely cause a stumble then a stalling. Always an idea tho.

Do you have a security system installed?

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have a security system installed?
Yeah the factory one. I know people have issues with it but it hasn't been going off randomly or anything.

I can't even hear the fuel pump prime to begin with. I'm used to walbros LOL. But for real...I don't think it's a fuel issue otherwise it'd choke/sputter out.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
My factory alram burned up and almost took my car with it. Don't know if anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I have a short ram intake and haven't messed with it.

Yeah I have a constant CEL for my exhaust since the day it was put on. But, it went off the other day when I beat the living piss out of it at an auto-x. It was off allllllll day. Next day, it turned back on. I think she likes it rough.

Lol wow my car sounds so ghetto. I swear it's not..it has character :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts