Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Aspen White 2.5 RS Coupe
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car sits funny, left side sags about 3/4 of an inch more than the right side. I measured the gap on the rear fender to the top of the tire, and did a visual comparison to the ground, the car is lopsided to the left. Is this usually a spring problem? Or my end links or swaybars were bent? I remember one time my rear side wall of the tire was curbed because I made a left turn too soon on one of those center divider thing and I scratched my rim, I thought it was alignment. But I recall seeing this even before I ran my rear wheel over the curb. I took the stock strut out, my left front stock black KYB strut shaft is so loose, I can hold that shaft and press it down with my left hand while I'm sitting down, the stock strut seemed to be blown.

I ordered pink STI springs and hopefully when it arrived and then installed this problem goes away and that means it was the spring, but mean while, if it's not the spring that is bad, then what else can go wrong? will a bent sway bar cause this?

thanks.

dknc

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
The spring seats and strut hats ( upper mounts) are directional. If you've got a spring or two that is not seated correctly you will sit funny. One of my Ohio buddies had both his rears wrong and the car squatted and extra 1/2"-ish. We just jacked up the rear end and twisted the spring until it seated correctly

·
Registered
52 Posts
dknc,
Check to see if the opposite corner (right front) is higher than the left front. A blown or weak strut can cause it to sag especially with a gas charged strut.

Troy

·
Registered
'08 Outback
8 Posts
Interesting. I noticed the exact same thing happening to my left rear several weeks ago. The tire was sitting much lower in the fender well than the other 3. I did not notice a difference in the overall ride height of the car, nor any adverse affects with handling or ride quality. I've just ignored it since then. I figured it was probably the spring. and I wouldn't be surprised if my struts are toast. It doesn't matter since my RE-92's are bald, anyway:D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
A friends RS sat lower on the left side also, we put a new suspension on a few weeks ago but I forgot to check that part out. :(

Buster

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got that problem too.
Ive got the stock struts w/ Tein springs. It wasnt noticable at all w/ the stock wheels and RE92s so I just ignored it.
But I just put 17"s on a a couple weeks ago and my driver side rear rubs when I take a right turn too fast, or when I drive on really bumpy roads.
The car sits about 1/2 inch lower on that side. It sux!
I'll have to try checking the direction of my springs and see if thats a problem, I think my struts are OK though

Greg

·
Registered
Aspen White 2.5 RS Coupe
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
STi pink spring installed

Well, I installed my STI pink springs, they seems to be for the new age impreza, the diameter of the rear springs are smaller than the diameter of the KYB/AGX bottom perch and it doesn't sit perfect on the perch, but yet, with the rubber thing, I managed to have both springs sit on the rubber without moving.

Yet, after the installation, the left side is still lower than the right side, the gap between the fender and the tire is small on the left. Damn it, there seems to be no good springs designed for KYB/AGX, Eibach prokit people said it lowers more in the rear, what gives? I wanted the Pink springs for GC8 that lowers 30mm not the new age 20mm ones, but rallispecs seemed to shipped the wrong ones to me... now i might just have to spend extra money to have the dealer check out what's wrong... *sigh*

There is a potential "danger" to this lobsided set up, I tried braking real hard one time and the car tend to skid sideways because of this sag? hmm... oh well...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts