Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When coming to a stop my car pulls very hard to the left or right. If I were to take my hand off the steering wheel it actually turns while coming to a stop. I just had new brakes and tires put on. Outside of probably needed an alignment could anything else, steering related be causing this???? Seems like I'm wrestling with the steering wheel while driving.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
How's your driving style like? Stock size tires? Professional brake installation? If this only happens during braking, I have a feeling that you EITHER have a loose set of brakes or air in one of the brake lines. That could explain why one side will pull harder than the other; causing the car to turn when braking. It never happened to me before, but I'm sure the installation went bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brakes were just replaced by my local Subaru dealer. My new tires are stock size G force T/A KDWS. Driving style is normal city or highway driving.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
tires could be running in grooves in the pavement...

does this only occur when stopping?

what about at speed?
does the car pull to one side or another?

does the steering wheel "shimmy" at all?
especially around 60mph?

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of observations after the ride home:

The car definitely drifts to the right while driving at a variety of different speeds.

When braking it pulls to the right too. My friendly neighborhood Subaru dealer is going to check the brake job that they did and make sure that everything looks good. This is usually followed by the infamous "we couldn't duplicate the problem", but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

There is no wheel shimmy at 60 mph.

As far as the grooves in the road/rough pavement, is the front end on these cars "looser" than a front wheel drive car? I would think that an all wheel drive car modelled after a rally car wouldn't be as affected by small bumps, grooves, and rough pavement. Maybe it's just the nature of the car with stock suspension that pulls the steering wheel to the right or occassionally left, when slowing down and coming to a stop, and I'm just not used to it.

Thanks in advance, everyone here has been great with all my questions.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I would think that an all wheel drive car modelled after a rally car wouldn't be as affected by small bumps, grooves, and rough pavement.
drive configuration has nothing to do with it. basic physics rules the day :)

if its consistantly pulling to one side, alignment would be my first concern. try finding a nice straight, flat (i.e. no road crown) section of road and letting go of the wheel. if it stays pretty straight, the alignment is fine, if it starts to veer pretty quick, its definitely something worth checking.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My car was pulling too, but not during braking. I discovered that after my last oil change, each of the four tires had completely different air pressures. Left front had 39 psi, right front, 28psi.:curse:

Corrected that and now its fine. Seems silly, but could be worth a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts