Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys was recently registered and wanted to see if I could get a second opinion from people who know more about cars than I do. I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to cars and especially specifics on parts and maintenance.

I drive a 2006 Subaru 2.5L. Almost 200,000 KM at around 196 i believe. Pretty much stock only thing I added to it is a COBB catback exhaust and that’s it, but the problems soon started after i got it installed. First problem: so my brake pads needed to be replaced so I headed to Canadian Tire to buy a fresh pair of brake pads since my friend knows how to replace them so he said he’d do it as long as i bought the pads. I get back to my car and once i started my car it shook violently and would seem to have very low power and the engine would stall and die, I brought it over to their auto body department for them to take a look. Turns out there was a hole in some of the wiring (?) and it was arching and it needed a spark plug.

Once that was fixed I had replaced my brake pads. After not even a few days my cars cruise light started blinking and engine light came on, car would drive smoothly but those lights on the dash popped up. I brought it back to canadian tire assuming that maybe it was from when they last worked on my car. It turned out to be a busted EGR valve that needed replacing. After I got that replaced, my car drove fine for a few days but just recently whenever i would start my car, the rpms would drop under 500 and my car would shake violently. After it would bring the rpms back up and everything was fine, it would only be when my engine is warming up. I was on my way home from work and after i started my car i didn’t wait for it to warm up since it was quite warm outside. As i’m driving my engine light came on and my cruise light would blink once again, but my engine seemed as if it was low power or how it acts when it drops rpms and shakes violently but it happened while i was driving and that was the cause of my dash lights to come up. Seems it really caused and issue to my engine.

I’ve looked at other peoples posts to see if i could figure it out, but i’m not that technical with cars so i’m not sure, any feedback helps. (could it be from when they changed my sparks or wiring? the recent work with the valve? not sure what the cause could be)

TL;DR car would shake violently and be at low rpms while idle, happened while i was driving now seems there is an engine problem. not sure if problems from past work on car or not

(my first time making a post like this so i’m sorry if it’s long or seems all over the place)

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
425 Posts
Its most likely a wiring issue, prpbably stemming from the +hole in the wiring+ you mentioned. I would get a code reader so you can figure out what the check engine lights are for since we can’t really diagnose your car over the internet without thst.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its most likely a wiring issue, prpbably stemming from the +hole in the wiring+ you mentioned. I would get a code reader so you can figure out what the check engine lights are for since we can’t really diagnose your car over the internet without thst.
I had already gotten the hole in the wiring fixed, where could i possibly get a code reader?

·
Registered
'96 OBS
374 Posts
Auto parts stores usually lend them out free in the US. Canadian Tire might be able to lend you one. Or you can get a bluetooth OBDII reader that'll let you read codes from an app on your phone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use the Torque app on the Google Marketplace and a $5 eBay Bluetooth OBDII adapter I bought maybe 6 years ago. Still works perfectly to this day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use the Torque app on the Google Marketplace and a $5 eBay Bluetooth OBDII adapter I bought maybe 6 years ago. Still works perfectly to this day.
thanks! i’ll update you guys once i get that and see what’s up, if anything i’ll bring it into a shop but i spent close to 2k in two weeks on fixing my car... hoping i can figure it out.

·
Registered
2006, 2.5i Black Wagon
18 Posts
If during the rewiring... they removed the battery. The low RPM and shake could be caused from a dirty throttle plate and not properly letting the ecu re-learn itself.
I have an 06 2.5i... and if i yank that battery.. it will run like crap for a while. It could even die at a stop light.
I would - Clean the Throttle plate
Pull the positive lead on the battery.
Step on the brake pedal a few time to drain the system
Re-connect the Battery
Start the car (windows down and ac running) and let it warm fully up
Turn off the car
Wait a few seconds
Start the car
Wait a few seconds
Turn off the car.
It wont run perfect but it should really help the rough idle when its cold. 2.5i's can really be a pain with a dirty throttle plate and an ecu reset... The rest will take care of itself as you drive and the car relearns itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts