Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 97 impreza 2.2 and i drove it from NJ to SC. Along the way my thermostat would randomly go from the middle and than shoot up to just before the H! I wouldnt stay there long and would than fluctuate back and forth. I had to pull over and the car was deff running really hot. Could it be the thermostat? the car looks like it had a new radiator put in before i got it so i dont think its that. I got a new thermostat but i have no idea how to change it out? Newb with this stuff. Please help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
How many miles are on the car? Is the coolant full? The thermostat is located inside the lower radiator hose. You'll have to loosen the clamp around it and remove the two small bolts that hold the hose to the bottom of the engine. The hose is filled with coolant which will come out when you pull the hose away from the engine, just a heads-up :) Pull the thermostat out and replace it, and the gasket, and put everything back together again. I highly suggest you stick with an OEM thermostat and gasket. I've used aftermarket ones and I've had problems.

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
drain your coolant, remove that plate and pull out the thermostat. I usually test the thermostat before I put the new one in. boil some water and drop the thermostat in. if it opens then you are good! Test the old one too just to be sure it wasn't working. Also I would change your coolant since it will be drained anyway. Lastly make sure your fan is turning on when your car reaches proper temp.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Most definetly on the lower rad hose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have 117k on the car and i just refilled the coolant because most of it overflowed. why would i need a new gasket? thanks for the fast replies guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts