3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, 2000 RS

This morning I started my car, it was on for about 30 sec
and then I needed to take some stuff out my trunk, but it
was locked so I took the key out and when I came back
again my car didn't start at all and then it began to click and
flicker the door open light at the speed of light repeatedly. I unpluged
the battery and tried to turn it on again but it repeated this process.

Any ideas? I had to resort to driving the Hybrid to work today :(
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^hmmmmm....ok^

But it keeps going even after I take the key out, it just clicks at the speed of light
forever and ever and ever and ever

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery. OR you have some strange grounding issue.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I had the same issue when I installed the grounding kit I bought off eBay. I replaced it with P Fab's kit and its fine now. Check the power and ground wires, and check to see if you're getting 12/14 volts.

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shaving cream in yo gas tank foo!
lol, that is going to haunt me for a long time.
I guess I'll take the batt to kragen or something after work. I replaced
the terminals recently so I don't think it's that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
put a volt meter on the battery posts and turn the key over, watch to see how much the voltage drops, it will rule out the battery.

make sure you have 12v's at the starter with a volt meter and try to crank the car over and see if you have good voltage there...rule out starter

·
Registered
2000 WRX STI Type-RA Limited
687 Posts
put a volt meter on the battery posts and turn the key over, watch to see how much the voltage drops, it will rule out the battery.

make sure you have 12v's at the starter with a volt meter and try to crank the car over and see if you have good voltage there...rule out starter
Or just grab on to both terminals with wet hands and see how bad it shocks you.:D JK
Doesn't really sound like a dead battery to me. I have heard of starters randomly going bad and doing that though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Or just grab on to both terminals with wet hands and see how bad it shocks you.:D JK
Doesn't really sound like a dead battery to me. I have heard of starters randomly going bad and doing that though.

make sure you really are :drunk: before grabbing both terminals( just to cover my butt thats a joke dont do it!!)

ive had one go bad on me as well, he could do the eletrical test and ohm the starter to make sure the coil isnt open. i just hate getting dirty for no reason so might as well tell him how to test it.

almost sounds like a grounding issue due to the flickering light, but i dont know if theres a common ground for the motor and that light, since the starter grounds through the block. but i did have a starter that did the same thing because the ground was insulated by spray paint(dont ask).

·
Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
4,575 Posts
but i did have a starter that did the same thing because the ground was insulated by spray paint(dont ask).
lol i'm asking. spraypaint under your hood? why? whats wrong with how it looks normally? =P

·
Registered
224 Posts
it was a chevy stepside show truck, we spray painted the engine and its related brackets with high temp spray paint. me not paying attention relised the ground for the motor attached to one of those brackets and insulated the motor from the ground and caused it to act like a open. so i had to redo the grounding of the motor.

what do you think a sti manifold is painted with, and those are just dam sexy....:)

·
Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
4,575 Posts
heh oh okay... and yeah stis look good. =]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts