Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS 2.5
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any moderators please feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate section if this is not the right one.

Hi, I'm the owner of an RS 2.5 and I just recently changed the headlights and the interior lights. Although I don't believe that it's related to the problem, it might be relevant.

Really cold last couple of days in Ohio, I took the car yesterday and drove for 40-50 miles and everything was fine. Today, I take the car to a fast food place nearby, less than a couple miles, and on the way back I stop at the gas station. Once I try to restart the car, as I usually do, I leave it on the first 'notch' a few seconds to let it warm up, and then when I try to actually start the engine I hear a big spark and the car was dead.

It was a no go for good 10 minutes then a friend of mine came and jumped the car to start it. On the first attempt to start the engine I heard the spark again, although we didn't see any sparks (the hood was open), and on the second attempt the car started just like if nothing had happen!

Then I drove for good 20 minutes to let the battery recharge, and I parked the car at my place. Now the car won't start at all, the battery is clearly dead: the lights are dim and blink, the radio won't turn on, the lock doesn't work...

My question is, what is going on? Do I have a bad battery? Is it the alternator? Please give me a hint!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery if the jump start helped you out.

Do you have a voltmeter? Test the battery and the alternator with a voltmeter to see if you're charging above 14v when the car is running, or take it to autozone for a load test on your battery (free)

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
that or both the alternator is making the battery toast.

Test alt before a new battery is put in

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS 2.5
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so I took the battery out and brought it to the walmart to get a replacement, then they tell me that it still was under warranty, which was very surprising to me since I bought the car a couple months ago and I didn't have any receipts. Before they give me a new one they test it and it turned out to be perfectly fine, so I put it back in and everything worked fine! Then I took it to autozone as you guys recommended and they said exactly what vermont22gt said, so they tested it again cleaned it up for me (for free) and now it seems to be working like if nothing happened... thanks a lot for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.