Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is some video of the first (as far as we know) FA WRX running an OEM ECU outside it's original chassis. More updates to come!

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,123 Posts
Is the OEM ECU running as a sole unit, or are other nodes/ECUs on the bus being used too? I saw the cluster is there... what if someone wanted to keep the GC dash as it was?

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the OEM ECU running as a sole unit, or are other nodes/ECUs on the bus being used too? I saw the cluster is there... what if someone wanted to keep the GC dash as it was?
We have an external module that is keep the CAN system happy and will grow in functionality as we continue to update. The BIU is in the car but only for the immobilizer. Beyond that no other 15' CAN modules are attached.

This car is running the cluster since it's still early but we will be able to eliminate the CAN cluster in the coming revisions, however, it may require the cluster to be shipped to us in order to get the necessary info to keep the immobilizer system working.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,038 Posts
Thats what i was thinking ^ small priceto pay for the most up-to-date swap thats available. Im curious to see how the car drives compared to an EJ, its hard to tell when the new motor is stuffed into a Lazy Boy of a car where you cant hear, see, feel, smell what the engine is doing :lol:

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,123 Posts
We have an external module that is keep the CAN system happy and will grow in functionality as we continue to update. The BIU is in the car but only for the immobilizer. Beyond that no other 15' CAN modules are attached.

This car is running the cluster since it's still early but we will be able to eliminate the CAN cluster in the coming revisions, however, it may require the cluster to be shipped to us in order to get the necessary info to keep the immobilizer system working.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Neat.

I've been able to run an 05 LGT Cluster standalone to any other CAN modules without an error, but it only talks to the BCM on low speed, so it's easy. I've done some high speed bus logs of a 2017 WRX and holy hell there's a lot of information being sent...

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Neat.

I've been able to run an 05 LGT Cluster standalone to any other CAN modules without an error, but it only talks to the BCM on low speed, so it's easy. I've done some high speed bus logs of a 2017 WRX and holy hell there's a lot of information being sent...
Yeah, the basic functionality to keep the ECU happy is relatively straight forward. The complexities will come later when we want things like AC to work, SI drive (assuming no STi cluster), etc.

Seriously! The newer the model the more that is going down the CAN line, but if we can figure it out there is a ton that can be utilized.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Excellent work!

Did you develop your own CAN emulator for this? I've seen the one from SubaruGears, but shipping around the world to Australia and back for programming seems like a headache. It would be great to be able to get an emulator programmed in the states.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
Excellent work!

Did you develop your own CAN emulator for this? I've seen the one from SubaruGears, but shipping around the world to Australia and back for programming seems like a headache. It would be great to be able to get an emulator programmed in the states.
From what has been said I would believe that is the case.

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent work!

From what has been said I would believe that is the case.
Not only is that likely the case, it HAS to be the case. Wonderful work.
Yep we have a much more local group than Australia helping us with this so hopefully we'll be able to get a base unit out soon and then keep on adding features.

Holy shit, I love you guys.

I’ll be keeping tabs on this.

-TC
:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I?m excited for this as I am currently trying to do a CANBUS swap! This beats swapping every harness wire from the newer Sti to the gc8. Unfortunately I?ll probably have to go that route and figure it all out. This will save me tons of time and headache! Keep it going!

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I?m excited for this as I am currently trying to do a CANBUS swap! This beats swapping every harness wire from the newer Sti to the gc8. Unfortunately I?ll probably have to go that route and figure it all out. This will save me tons of time and headache! Keep it going!
I think going with the full harness swap is going to be a constant source of issues. Going with a merge and our CANBUS emulator is going to be a simpler solution even if it means waiting a bit while we get it ready.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts