Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 L wag (RIP) Now 97 LGT Wag
815 Posts
GF is chassis code for the first gen (OBD1 and OBD2) imprezas. GF2, GF4, GF8. the numbers are for the engines, letters for chassis. the next gen would be the 02 - 05. GD chassis. pretty straight forward once you understand it.

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
the only Subaru VIN decoding page you'll ever need: VIN: how to read a Subaru Vehicle Identification Number
but heres another good one: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Subaru/VIN_Codes

short technical answer:
GF4 is an impreza wagon (93-01 chassis, 1st generation basically) with a 2.2L engine. could be an L or an Outback Sport (USA)
GF8 is an impreza wagon (same 93-01) with a turbo engine, in the rest of the world, such as europe or japan. the USA never had a "GF8"

however GF8 and GC8 are commonly misused to generalize the wagon and non-wagon 1st generation imprezas (even though only 4-door sedan get GC and the coupes are GM, at least in america)

·
Registered
'97 Emerald Green GF4 5spd
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks guys!! I was just looking through other peeps on here and their wagon builds. I specifically remember one 97 wag that he indicated it as a GF8, then i got to think that it was suppose to be a GF4. But then he swapped a wrx motor in there which Im planning to do hopefully in the next year or two. Just gotta gather all the loose end parts like fuel system, ecu, entire bulk harness. lol, But thanks again for clarifying it. I even tried wikipedia and it just gave me a somewhat generalize answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.