Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ll be honest. I’m not a mechanic in any sense of the word. I have a lot knowledge in theory, but I have yet to use a lot of it in practice. I’ve been wanting to get a project car for a while and the a GC8 sti swap is literally my dream. I understand the complexity and cost of an engine swap, but I guess my question is if it’s possible for a noob mechanic. I won’t start off with swapping the engine, that will most likely come much later. I would start will everything I can do before the swap in order to gain as much knowledge about the car. Honestly, even thinking about doing it may be ridiculous, but I’m curious what others think!

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
572 Posts
Yes. Pay someone to do the wiring, dont attempt it yourself. Also, double the cost of what you think it will be and make that your budget.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It’s doable. Taking out an engine is not as hard as you think especially in these cars. As stalkergc said, leave the wiring to the professionals if you are not experienced at all. Make sure to label everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s doable. Taking out an engine is not as hard as you think especially in these cars. As stalkergc said, leave the wiring to the professionals if you are not experienced at all. Make sure to label everything.
I don’t quite understand the whole wiring situation. It is just combining the old interior harness with the new engine’s harness? And if so, does that mean you have to replace the new engines harness or is there a way to merge the two? I’ve heard you have to replace it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don’t quite understand the whole wiring situation. It is just combining the old interior harness with the new engine’s harness? And if so, does that mean you have to replace the new engines harness or is there a way to merge the two? I’ve heard you have to replace it.
It’s a harness merge with the engine harness and the RS harness. Car runs under engine ecu but everything else is basically RS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts