Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to swap in Delta 1500s on my 14psi supercharger. If I jack up the motor can I do this relatively easily with the motor in?

Do I need to pay careful attention how the cam/rocker assembly, etc. is installed with respect to the timing pulley or will it only go one way such that the valves are in the correct spot when the timing mark is at 12 o clock?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,291 Posts
1- No, not easy at all.

2- Seems like you need to do a bit more research before getting into this job, there a lots of errors that can be made and almost no room for errors.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,239 Posts
Do I need to pay careful attention how the cam/rocker assembly, etc. is installed with respect to the timing pulley or will it only go one way such that the valves are in the correct spot when the timing mark is at 12 o clock?

The cam gears are keyed to the camshaft so it will only go on one way as long as that pin is there. I personally would not tackle this endeavor with the engine in the car.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
239 Posts
How far do you think you;ll be able to jack it up without disconnecting it from the trans? I'd bet you get an inch or two. Maybe 3 at the outside? You might get mostly clear of the frame rails, but you still have all the stuff hanging out next to the engine: battery, hoses, reservoirs, ABS, AC lines, power steering. I just think you'll end up, unbolting the trans/engine crossmembers, jacking up the engine, pulling a bunch of reservoirs and hoses and wires and the battery, getting the valve covers off, maybe get the old cams out and then have to pull the engine to get the new cams in after cursing for a couple hours.

If you're asking for advice: I think pulling the engine is probably going to be quicker
If you want to forge your own way: Go ahead and give it a shot. It's probably not actually impossible to do the cams with the engine in the car,

·
Registered
07OBS
61 Posts
I am looking to swap in Delta 1500s on my 14psi supercharger. If I jack up the motor can I do this relatively easily with the motor in?

Pull the motor, you'll thank us later. Use a 12 point 14MM socket on the head bolts. I highly recommend 6 Star head gaskets (4 motors and not 1 issue), do not use Felpro (Prestone anti freeze ate the coating on me in 6k miles). Don't use Gates timing parts all Chinese junk. GL:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am not doing HG right now. The headgaskets and timing belt, pulleys, water pump are all basically brand new. I am just talking about swapping the cams themselves.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How far do you think you;ll be able to jack it up without disconnecting it from the trans? I'd bet you get an inch or two. Maybe 3 at the outside? You might get mostly clear of the frame rails, but you still have all the stuff hanging out next to the engine: battery, hoses, reservoirs, ABS, AC lines, power steering. I just think you'll end up, unbolting the trans/engine crossmembers, jacking up the engine, pulling a bunch of reservoirs and hoses and wires and the battery, getting the valve covers off, maybe get the old cams out and then have to pull the engine to get the new cams in after cursing for a couple hours.

If you're asking for advice: I think pulling the engine is probably going to be quicker
If you want to forge your own way: Go ahead and give it a shot. It's probably not actually impossible to do the cams with the engine in the car,

I am not sure. You can easily unbolt the trans from the crossmember too but I don't know how much room it has before it'll hit the body.

how do people adjust valve lash? it shouldn't be much different.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I ended up removing the motor. Having done it, I wouldn't recommend trying to do it in the car.

I had never removed engine from car before so I was a little nervous... but it is not that hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts