Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
BRP RS & GF Rallyx Beater
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooooo my passenger side camshaft pulley (which looks like it's definitely not OEM, maybe aftermarket or maybe salvaged parts from another ejxx engine) was injured in a freak accident when an idler pulley exploded (more on that in a future post probably).

Here is a pic of the damage:

I'm running low on money for this repair (came out of nowhere, obviously) and really need to just get my car put back together and running again, so is it possible to continue using this camshaft pulley with a new belt? The damage seems to be all in the side wall area, doesn't seem to spread into where the belt lays. I bought a kit that has a new timing belt and all new idler pulleys and tensioner (seems that when the original owner had the timing belt done, they left all the original idler pulleys in there).

I would love to replace it, sure, but I don't really have the funds to buy a new one right now, nor the time to tear the damn thing off and put a new one on, unless anyone has a super slick tip on how to get these things off (but more importantly, back on and torqued up) with a flick of the wrist (special $300,000 Subaru super gear removal tool excluded).

Oh, '99 OBS, EJ22, 5MT.

·
Registered
'99 Impreza Outback Sport
378 Posts
I would try to replace it. One from a junk yard should be fine. If you are really that strapped for cash, I would suggest turning the engine on and watching the pulley. Does it wobble at all? Either way if you do choose to run it, I would saw you should smooth out that area, it looks pretty sharp.

I also don't know too much in this department, So thats just my 2¢

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
Simple call....replace it and not worry about it. Best way to go....dont need it ripping the timing belt in half 100miles from home.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 3.3RS
1,073 Posts
protect the teeth of the sprocket with a piece of rubber and slap a chain tool on it. Think of a vise-grip with a chain on one end. Hold that and break the torque on the bolt with a breaker bar. Works with the crank pulley also. No special tools needed. I would replace it because the structural integrity is compromised and it's out of balance, but that's just me.

If it's not rough on the inside near the belt and you're not replacing it, I wouldn't file it smooth....You'll just me taking more off and making it more out of balance.

It's like a five minute job to replace those, so you do have the time. It's just getting the part.

·
Registered
BRP RS & GF Rallyx Beater
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, guys. I didn't even think about the balance being an issue. And you're right, I'd rather just put my mind at ease and not worry about it. I thought it'd be way more time consuming than that to get it off though, thanks for the tip. I'll search around the scrap yards for some subies and see what I can scavenge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts