Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now that I have the car running without the smoke cloud generator in operation, I want to work on my rusty video editing skills with my new camera (Sony TRV17).

I am thinking for in-car action that a bar with a tripod mount running between the headrests on the passenger and driver seats would work.

This would also allow me to quickly adjust the camera slightly left and right. I'd normally just have a passenger hold the camera, but it is really hard for a human being to keep a camera steady in a car that is driven hard.

I'm open to any suggestions or ideas on other ways to mount the camera.

I know this topic has been covered numerous times on that other board, but I figure this is a good topic to help start this forum out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

That's James' mod I believe. Looks good, although I may try and see if attaching the bar to both passenger and driver headrests can help stabilize things.

Next time someone asks this question, they can be bitched at for not doing a search first.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
That cost me somthing like $10 to make. It's an aluminum bar, two half-U bolts, two wing nuts. I sawed the bar to length, attached my tripod mount. Oh, actually, the tripod mount was like $30. Then to put it on, I pop my headrest off, slide the posts through the two hal-u bolts, tighten the wing nuts and put it back onto the seat.

It works great. The hardest part was finding half-U bolts (not full U because that would have required 4 wing nuts which seemed to much for me.) I founf some at the 6th hardware store I visited.

I can post more pictures if you want detailed shots.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Easy:

1. Get an aluminum bar, mine is 1" x 1" square
2. Get two hook bolts (or U-bolts if you can't find them) and two wingnuts
3. Get a camera mouting head
4. Get a bolt that is about 1.25" - 1.5" long that will screw into the base of the camera mounting head
5. Take your headrest off
6. Measure the distance between the CENTER of each post of the headrest
7. Measure the width of the headrest post
8. Mark that exact distance space on the bar
9. Mark the width of the post in relationship to the first marks
10. Drill holes on each side of the post marks so that the hook bolts will go around the posts
11. Insert hook and fasten with wingnuts
12. Install and cut to length so camera is in middle of headrests
13. Drill and mount camera mounting head
14. Done!

Here's some close-ups of mine...

Attachments

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Just a local camera shop - like Wolf Camera - and it was the cheapest they had, so I got it. It uses a standard thread, so I just got a bolt that fit it at the local hardware store. It tips forward/back and left/right, but I never tip it much.

A hint - attach it to your PASSENGER side headrest. That way you can lean your drivers seat back while you are in the car, turn the camera on/off or change settings easily. If you attach it to your drivers seat you can't get behind the camera very easily.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Very, and the videos are fine. However I have taken to turning off the sound because the batteries in the camera rattle like crazy and that sounds like hell.

Here's a sample video of my (kawf, kawf) first place Auto-X run so you can see the quality. It's on my SCCA page of the RS25.com site.

http://www.rs25.com/movies/run3.mov

[Edit - the movie was broken, so now it's a Quicktime movie - much smaller. I removed the rattling batteries sounds and put some music in it's place. :D ]

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Okay, it SHOULD be fixed now - dan, that's the fifth time I have had to re-do that darn thing. I'm no movie producer...

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Still isn't working.:( Do you think it would be stable enough for rally-x? I drive on pavement all day, and I like doing my spirited driving on the dirt, and it's can get kinda rough.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Movie works fine for me - you have to use Windows Media Player. As far as off-road... um.. I dunno. It would probably be fine, though bumpy playback. :confused:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wait Untill U see MINE!!!

Hey guys I stole the IDEA from RS25.com.
But i choped of the top of my tripod
AND I HAVE full adjustability . up down left right and angle as well. Very nice.. I used full U clampes instead of half cut U clamps. I have 4 screws instead of 2 but Very sturdy!!!
I will post picxs soon..

IT IS AWESOME>
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts