Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I know you get what you pay for. I guess I bought this before I really understood what that meant.

That said, I bought an OBX CAI for my 2000 RS. I got it all in the mail and and went to install it and the pipe was just a couple inches too long. The filter was jammed all the way to the engine bay wall by the passenger side fender. (near the fender induction port thingy) The problem is this... In order to make it fit in the bay I had to jam the pipe nearly all the way into the cone filter. Obviously this doesn't allow for the best of air flow into the pipe.

During the post install test drives the low end seems unaffected. Still good torque and everything seems kosher. However, my car struggles at around 90mph. I used to be able to run from 80-130mph no problem in this car. Now, i HONESTLY can't get this little bugger to push past 105. It takes about 3 minutes to get there from 80mph.

Not cool. Should I just chop the pipe so the filter can fit properly? Is that what's causing my problem? If anyone can help that would be sweet! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
just cut it, when you get cheap parts off ebay (I assume where you got it), it's perfectly acceptable to have to modify it to work. And when you do, it may very well work just as well as my COBB for a fraction of the price.

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
obx isnt that great, just cut it. Im not sure on their filter quality, but if after you cut the pipe you still have the problem, then try a different filter I guess.

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
or buy a cobb/aem/ shortram ebay intake with a K&N filter

and sell the obx

·
Registered
2002, Impreza Ts, Red
281 Posts
Your not gunna find any low end gains with a CAI. all it will do rly is smotthen out the 4k rpm dead spot

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, i am familiar with the "gains" of a CAI. I wasn't really expecting anything other than sound and bling.

Im pretty sure OBX filters blow so I was already expecting to snag a K&N but I'll try just chopping the pipe and let ya know how it works out.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
03 WRX Wagon
1,001 Posts
Just get an inzen CAI... you can use the first half as a short ram in the winter then add the extension to it when you are driving in the summer.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got two pipes with the OBX one too. A shorter, what looks like a short ram pipe, and the longer one that goes to the fender induction opening. However, the shorter pipe has no nipples for hoses. Maybe a stupid question but is the short ram supposed to hook up to the same hoses as the CAI? lol.

Sorry. :)

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Brought the car home after work today and uninstalled/chopped the pipe/reinstalled and test drove again.

Same stuff. Cant get over 105. Just seems to bog right down. Tomorrow after school, I'll pick up the K&N and hope it fixes it. If not, its back to the stock airbox.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bumpeddy Bump....

Need some help. I figured out there was a hole for a breather (mini cone filter dealy) in the intake pipe. So, I went to Advance Auto and bought myself a K&N cone filter and the little breather guy. Came back home installed them both and the same stuff. The car pulls a LOT harder around 3.5 to 4.5k RPM but the top end is still non-existent.

This kinda pissed me off. So I pulled it all out and slapped the stock intake back in. Boom, problem solved.

Is there anything that could cause this? Too much air? Too little air?

In the 2000 RS there are only the three hoses to hook up right? Nothing else needs to be done?

Please someone shed some light on this for me. I'm desperate now that this CAI has cost me over the price of an injen or AEM.

·
Registered
99 impreza rs 2.5 black
870 Posts
Thats strange I think I would try to find someone else that has similar mods. There has to be somebody. I got the cheapo weapon r havent noticed any problems but honestly haven't been over 100 in a long time

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmmm. I dont really ever go over 100. But, I just want to make sure (even tho it seems all is well) that Im not choking my car even at low speeds.

Man I really wish someone knew what was happening. :D

I see no reason this should happen. I mean, I understand the basic mechanics of the intake process and this seems to cover all the bases. I just dont get it. :(

/hopeless

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
I remember SCC magazine had a similar issue with their Project Z (granted, it was making like 560hp at the time). The car would bog down around the 100mph mark at the dragstrip. It turned out to be turbulence around the filters at high speed confusing the MAF. They had a custom airbox constructed to fix the problem. That might be why the stock airbox works fine for you but the CAI has issues.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I remember SCC magazine had a similar issue with their Project Z (granted, it was making like 560hp at the time). The car would bog down around the 100mph mark at the dragstrip. It turned out to be turbulence around the filters at high speed confusing the MAF. They had a custom airbox constructed to fix the problem. That might be why the stock airbox works fine for you but the CAI has issues.
Yeah.. Nasioc has a thread about that I think. It's a sticky under the NA powertrain.

But.. 2000 isnt MAF.... It's MAP.. :(

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
Maybe start looking for seemingly stupid obvious things like:
(I'm not implying that you are stupid, but sometimes we miss the simpilest things)

is there anything stuck/blocking in the intake piping?
is there any kinked hoses/vaccum lines with the intake on?
Do all of the intake's vaccum line stubs have holes behind them (IDK?)
Is there plastic from packaging in the filter still?
Did you reset your ECU?

Thats all I can think of... sorry if it dosent help.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. So I might be a huge moron.

I never reset the ECU. I'll give er a shot tonight and see how she goes.

Also, my CEL is on and haven't had a chance to get it scanned. Anyone know the process needed to manually clear it? Something about X number of key turns?

THANKS! I love this place.:banana:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
autzone doesn't clear codes.... only reads them, one of the guys that works at one by myhouse told me that it's illegal for them to clear the code......bs

Rafal

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester Black/Gra
583 Posts
However, my car struggles at around 90mph. I used to be able to run from 80-130mph no problem in this car. Now, i HONESTLY can't get this little bugger to push past 105. It takes about 3 minutes to get there from 80mph.
I am having the same problem too, I have a 03 Forester AT and I use to get it up to 110 , 115 mph, now that I have the intake I can't even pass 103 mph, it bogs down at that speed, and it slowly accelerates. I got cams and full headerback exhaust.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts