Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STI, 99STiL
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty basic question, just cannot find an answer with the search function. I have seen successfully BAR'ed swaps with and without A/C, but nobody elaborates whether A/C was installed when they had the car inspected, or whether any components are needed to pass a visual.

Aaannnndddd....go!!

While I am at it, will a Bosal SPT catback pass the sound test?

·
Registered
2006 STI, 99STiL
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brian from I-Wire assured me A/C has no bearing on a successful BAR certification. For future reference...

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
The BAR inspection is to check whether your car has all the necessary emissions equipment, and that all the equipment is functioning properly, to meet California smog requirements.

The AC system has nothing to do with smog, so yeah, it'll have no bearing on the BAR inspection.

·
Registered
2006 Zerosports WRX
53 Posts
A/C can play a role. As you have the idle up on A/C. So do you have the compressor to install just for the inspection? Just like california smog. Results will vary from inspector to inspector.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
A/C can play a role. As you have the idle up on A/C. So do you have the compressor to install just for the inspection? Just like california smog. Results will vary from inspector to inspector.
Having the A/C turned on will raise the idle, yes, but I imagine the referee will know to turn off the A/C before conducting their test...so it really doesn't matter if A/C is installed or not.

The A/C compressor is not part of the emissions system, so it's presence is not included within the scope of the BAR examination.

·
Registered
2006 STI, 99STiL
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info. FYI turning AC on only raises idle if that is how the ECU calibration is set ;)

·
Registered
2006 Zerosports WRX
53 Posts
Yeah I'm aware. But smog inspector is looking at the everything. Make sure its 100% and no boost gauge to boot.

Will not take much to fail. Its in their best intrest to fail you. Seeing if something is wrong and they fail you. It not their job on the line. Its only your problem.

And California is very much aware of ecu tuning tricks. They may not fail people right now. But it was being watched for future inspections.

·
Registered
2006 Zerosports WRX
53 Posts
I passed my inspection with my boost gauge and oil pressure gauge installed. Just FYI.
Results may vary. But in the Bay Area and LA area. 98% fail just on those alone. They don't even do the test as it fails the visual.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,408 Posts
Yeah, it does depend on where you go and their mood that day. I passed with the Grimm Speed AOS in CA, you should as it's a closed system, I have heard others are not so lucky.

I decided to BAR my swap, then do the smog checks if ya know what I mean ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts