Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have the 'want to blow millions of dollars on mods' itch right now. I have a MY00RS and other than a CAI it's bone stock. Besides some cosmetic mods of course.

Eventually, I AM swapping an EJ205 in. So, my question is, what power/performance mods can be done while im still NA that wont need to be changed when I go turbo. I really want headers/cat/cat back but won't I need to get a new system when I swap because of back pressure with the smaller pipes? The pipes are different Diameter right? :)

I understand I would need to replace the headers with the new motor. But what about the cat back? Could I continue to use my RS one with the turbo application?

Really what I want to do is save every penny I have until I can afford the swap. So if there are mods I need to get in order for the swap to perform right I can buy those now. It would just be a win win situation if I could put those future turbo mods on my NA to make it run a little better. :)

Any help? Or should I just save, save, save? Thanks!

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
You could always pick up a used axelback from a WRX you can pick them up pretty cheap and it will work and it won't cause to many problems when you swap or while your N/A.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the WRX axleback fit the muffler position in the RS bumper? Does everything bolt up right? :) Thanks! That's exactly the stuff I need to know.

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
You could always pick up a used axelback from a WRX you can pick them up pretty cheap and it will work and it won't cause to many problems when you swap or while your N/A.
I would advise against the wrx cat-back. You'll get the infamous cricket chirp at low rpm's with the wrx muffler. I didn't like mine. I'm kinda in the same boat as you, saving for a swap and not wanting to upgrade something that will be replaced later. I'm doing driveline and suspension mods until I swap. Front and rear swaybars, upgrade all the shifter and linkage parts, that sorta thing. It will not give you more power, but it is performance.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cricket chirp? I'm unaware.

I was thinking about doing suspension/brakes/drivetrain blah blah blah.. But I'm just such a power hungry baby. At least I admit it right?

I just talked to someone who has a full 05 WRX motor swap available for me. Exhaust, power steering, turbo, IC, ECU, harness, EVERYTHING. The motor has been tested and is clean as you could imagine. 40,xxx miles. $3000!!

Unless I'm mistaken that's a pretty sweet price. Wish I could buy that today.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
I would advise against the wrx cat-back. You'll get the infamous cricket chirp at low rpm's with the wrx muffler. I didn't like mine. I'm kinda in the same boat as you, saving for a swap and not wanting to upgrade something that will be replaced later. I'm doing driveline and suspension mods until I swap. Front and rear swaybars, upgrade all the shifter and linkage parts, that sorta thing. It will not give you more power, but it is performance.
That only happens with factory exhausts, a nice aftermarket will make no difference.

Buy a used exhaust and sell it for the same or a similar price you bought it for.
This is also another good idea.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS, Sedona Red
41 Posts
I would say that, unless you're a drag racer, you'll want to focus on the suspension and drivetrain mods right now until the actual swap. You'll be unhappy if you cant take a turn with all that new power, or if it bogs because your car sits on its ass when you hit the gas. You'll notice the increased driveability of those mods immediately and they will surely be viable with your turbo build.

The N/A mods, however, will barely be noticable other than the noise and arent guaranteed to be usable once you've completed the swap.

You'll be happily surprised by the sus./DT mods I think...consider it!

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Just be sure it is everything you need, because people buy these things all the time thinking they got the deal of the century, and bring them to us only to find that they didn't actually get everything they needed. So then they spend extra money on top of what they paid to find and buy what is needed, therefore nullifying the 'deal' they got.

I just talked to someone who has a full 05 WRX motor swap available for me. Exhaust, power steering, turbo, IC, ECU, harness, EVERYTHING. The motor has been tested and is clean as you could imagine. 40,xxx miles. $3000!!

Unless I'm mistaken that's a pretty sweet price. Wish I could buy that today.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Cams, header-back exhaust, suspension work, brakes, etc.

Personally, I'd get the cars suspension and brakes beefed up before you even think about adding more power. Power is nothing without control

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback, EJ253
521 Posts
You could also get a lightweight crank pulley, the crankpulley is compatible with every EJ motor that I know of including the EJ205 that you plan on swapping in, so you could use that on the next motor.

Custom catbacks can run 300 dollars, but if you go with a 2.5 inch, then you should be fine in keeping that with little modification to it to begin with, but later done the road you may want a 3" catback, but I'm not sure with the 2 liter EJ205 motors. The 2.5 inch exhaust in my opinion won't bog you down, I haven't experienced anything like that on my car, but then again I have light weight crank and alt pulleys, light weight flywheel, exedy street clutch, short ram intake, 2.5 in custom exhaust.

Since your swapping, cams are not a good idea, it'd be a waste of money to get them, not sure about the clutch and flywheel you'll need, I'm not sure if that is dependant on the engine or the transmission.

Other than that, I would definitely look into suspension mods, and upgraded brakes, you'll definitely want these modifications in order to control the power.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just be sure it is everything you need, because people buy these things all the time thinking they got the deal of the century, and bring them to us only to find that they didn't actually get everything they needed. So then they spend extra money on top of what they paid to find and buy what is needed, therefore nullifying the 'deal' they got.
Well, it's from Millenium Auto. I've heard great things about him/them. They actually pointed me in your direction for my wire merging. I'm sure I could have it turn key for about 4-4500.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Sticky Tires/Struts/springs/Rotors/Pads/SS Lines/Larger Sway Bars.... Anything else? lol.

Still though, it seems every $200 I spend on non-swap parts only puts me $200 further from having my motor. It seems as if it's going to have to be motor first then new parts later. :(

Anyone have like $10k I can have?

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Honestly? If you're definitely planning on a swap, don't bother. I seriously regret the money I spent on my exhaust, though my situation is a little unique. :lol:

I had the SPT/BroSpeed on my RS, since it was new. Sounded great, really quiet. But I found out it was stock pipe diameter and wanted to go for something 2.25" like everyone says is best for N/A. I knew it wouldn't give me much power, if any at all, but I got a bug up my butt to do it, anyway.

I didn't want to pay for a Strömung or Borla, didn't have the money at the time, so I got a WRX axleback for free. Found a Strömung midpipe on eBay for about half price. Had them mated together, but the shop had to hack off the rear flange on the midpipe, and the forward flange on the axleback, and sleeve/weld them together. Looked awful, but worked.

Yes the WRX axleback chirps, on a N/A car. I wanted a little more kick, so I got a used Strömung high-flow cat. It was relatively loud, and sounded like absolute crap with the WRX muffler. So I found a generic Bosal canister in overstock at MadDad for next to nothing, and had an exhaust shop mount it up to the axleback piping, hacking off the WRX muffler. When they started my car (the shop was Meineke... in hindsight, a mistake to go to them), it sounded like some kind of military tank, it was so loud.

The HFC, with a straight-through, non-baffled muffler, was frighteningly loud. So I had them put a resonator in the midpipe. A little better, but still really, really loud. I also of course had the P0402 CEL, even though I had the O2 bung extender. Which only sometimes works. :D So I sold the HFC, put the stock one back in.

And that's what I have now. The whole endeavor, with all the repairs, bad weld jobs, etc. etc. cost me MORE than an off-the-shelf Strömung catback would've. Not to mention if I'd held out for a used one. Hindsight's 20/20 and honestly I miss the BroSpeed. At most, I should've just slapped the Strömung midpipe in there, and that's it. This isn't to say that the exhaust I have sounds terrible, it doesn't; it's not really that bad. I don't like it, but I've gotten a few compliments. I really prefer the burble of a Strömung or Prodrive on a turbo car, but who doesn't? :p My N/A setup is hideously ugly, with the multiple welds and mismatched hangars, but the tip itself is a decent, angle-cut 3.5" unit, and it's not one of those JDM, crooked-mount units, which I don't prefer. So maybe I can sell the whole catback for a few bucks. It's not falling apart, at least.

I say this because I've always wanted a swap, or at least I have for 5-6 years. It was not worth the headache. When GT Imports cleared out their Prodrive axlebacks last year, I bought one. It's in my garage, shiny and new in the box. I'm holding out for my turbo swap so I'll have a nice new sound to go with my nice new power.

·
Registered
2000 2.5Rs Charcoal Grey
148 Posts
Yeah I would say go with suspension, sway bar, breaks. You don't really want to put a lot of power in a car if you don't have the power to stop the car after or take corner the way you want.

I'm in the same situation that your in. I just bought the car after my WRX got totaled but now I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with the engine. So I will do the suspension, sway bar and break first. Well will get the hella horn as well and probably the ground kit "BTW anyone know witch kit I should buy because there is 3 different one". But good luck with your build.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Yeah I would say go with suspension, sway bar, breaks.

So I will do the suspension, sway bar and break first.

FYI, it's "brakes" ... :)

I do agree that, if you've not done it yet, tires and suspension should always come before power. Brakes too, though they're more important when you add power.

·
Registered
2000 2.5Rs Charcoal Grey
148 Posts
FYI, it's "brakes" ... :)

I do agree that, if you've not done it yet, tires and suspension should always come before power. Brakes too, though they're more important when you add power.
Sorry my bad, I'm at work an I think I was thinking more about my break then brakes :lol:

·
Registered
00 2.5RS
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Although, I've decided to take a "chill pill" when it comes to modding the car. I still owe $6500 on it and she has 112,000mi on her. So, I figure I'll just run it till it dies and then get the swap. For now, I'm just going to look/sound cool and pay the little bitch off. :)

·
Registered
2008 AW STi
5,361 Posts
Stick with suspension related mods for now. Anything power wise you will not be able to use with your swap. You can use the cat back but you will end up wanting something with a bigger diameter once you go swapped anyway. Save your money and wait for the swap to happen then get the necessary go fast bits.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts