Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
01 RS w/ 2.1 stroker ej205
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

havent been on Rs25.com for awhile. But i've been looking around for subarus. I previously ownd a 93 GC L. It was hella fun but it had to sell it.

Now i was looking buying a rs but the thing is on the market... is that a lot of sellers tend to advertise the phrase.. " What a rare car this is to be on the market!" I've heard it way too many times to agree because obviously if it was rare... it wouldnt be so easy to find RS's on ads. But thats my opinion

Instead of getting an Rs, i looked at a more practical car. The 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX. It's lightly modified. Pictures below . It has about 155,000 miles on it. Has always stayed in California, never out of state. The seller is letting it go for $7,500. Which is a grand below KBB's price.

Modifications: AEM Cold Air Intake, HKS SEQ BOV, HKS cat back, Greddy Turbo timer, Apex'i RSM GP rev meter.

What i want to know is... what i am going to run into with such a high milege on the car? Like any near future maintanence issues????? My main concern is the AC. Since i ownd an GC.. it ran past 200,000 miles... and maintaining the ac is hard because its such an old model to recharge the unit.

And how is the price for the car?? I mean just from the info provided.

Thanks for reading. If you do have any opinions..it would be great to let me know. I would have posted this on NASIOC.com but i feel like RS25 has a hella better user feedback from others. Not like nasioc.. people are more technical.

Tim

· Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
5,237 Posts
well all WRX's have been beaten on alittle. i wouldnt personly buy a car i think was beaten on. and 155K is alot of miles,and it has been modified. i would keep looking, there is always better

whats your price range?

· Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i mean its a pretty clean car. Interior is clean..paint is good on outside. 155 k is a lot of miles huh? i was thinking that but.. i know subaru's go past 200 k. So thats why it wasnt a main concern. Modifications all seem to be installed right... no sloppy work. And it doesnt look it has seen it's track days yet.

My price range is about under 10 g's. And i did find a 16,000 grand 05 STi. It was hella nice. But my budget was trying to go under...so it was impossible. :(.

is 155,000 miles that bad???

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
I agree!

The car has BOV which tended to lean the motor out, when in boost. A car thats been modded poorly is not a car you would like to own.

· Registered
01 rs/wrx swap
65 Posts
it looks like it had an s-afc so who knows what kind of tune it has and how hacked up the wiring is...also like stated before the bov and intake are not really great for these cars...i would keep looking. good luck

· Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
3,127 Posts
id stay away from it unless you plan on turning it into some built motor monster/timeattack/track car/etc.

id keep looking.

wrx's are nice and make nice dailys..im sick of driving my crusty GC. lol

· Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn i guess ill keep looking. I mean shoot it was clean.. but if thats what everyone is recommending then heck.

wHAT are the key things i should watch out especially for 02 WRX's???

· Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
3,127 Posts
bad fuel line on the engine or some shit, and the spin bearings apparently. trannys are weak too and break under high hp apparently. i think it depends on how you drive it though. turbo timers arent useless btw but on any water cooled turbo they dont serve much of a purpose..it doesnt hurt to let the car idle for a minute or two to cool down.

· Registered
Subarus
574 Posts
It probably doesn't hurt, but unless you're rotated and just oil cooled you can do without it. Try to find one with a little bit lower mileage and mostly stock. Stock bpv works fine, you don't need the woosh woosh. :blol:

· Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza OBS
1,010 Posts
the thing that automatically shyed me away was the turbo timer on a basically stock engine. the guy probably just wanted to look cool in my opinion. you can find much better in the engine department but ill hand it to you that it is a clean wrx.

· Banned
1,035 Posts
well all WRX's have been beaten on alittle. i wouldnt personly buy a car i think was beaten on. and 155K is alot of miles,and it has been modified. i would keep looking, there is always better

whats your price range?
not all WRX's have been beaten on.

But no, I would not buy that car. Every mod on that car besides the CBE is useless. A WRX will get nothing out of an intake until it is seeing about 300hp. The turbo timer is useless, and the BOV is more than likely making it run really rich. I dont know what your budget is, but decent mileage WRX's can be had for pretty decent prices.

· Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
5,237 Posts
not all WRX's have been beaten on.

But no, I would not buy that car. Every mod on that car besides the CBE is useless. A WRX will get nothing out of an intake until it is seeing about 300hp. The turbo timer is useless, and the BOV is more than likely making it run really rich. I dont know what your budget is, but decent mileage WRX's can be had for pretty decent prices.
yea i take that back. not ALL WRX's have been beaten on but 80-90% of them are modified and then beaten on. especially if its a 5mt

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.