Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2000 RSTI BRP
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so this is where i got the idea; My friend got rear ended in his evo, and got 25000 from insurance. After he contacted the company and bought back the evo for around 4000 dollars then sold it crashed for 7000. So i was wondering how do Japanese insurance companies process crashed cars? Would it be possible to contact a Japanese insurance company and buy a front clip straight from them.. in some ways this would always be cheaper than buying it from a vendor or dealer. Also there would be no middle man costs. Although translating an Email or Fax would be a hassle.. Let me know what you guys think about this approach to buying an affordable swap.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Good theory, however, how do you plan to have an entire clip shipped from across the pond and yet still retain a price thats lower then what most people are selling for on this side of the pond.

Again, how much money is your time worth?

·
Registered
26 Posts
You wouldn't get it for cheaper. After the tax, and processing, customs, shipping/frieght fee's, plus the intial price of the product you would find you're probably paying more.

Company's that sell JDM parts are getting them for a low price because they buy in bulk and get discounted on their total price and their shipping costs based on the ammount of parts/products they buy.

·
Banned
2000 RSTI BRP
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the imput, as i said before this is just an idea. Ill probably get a clip from a vendor in the states when the time comes.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,978 Posts
its possible, and not all that hard frankly, but if you dont speak japanese, dont bother.

In short: call up junk yards in japan, find one with a clip you need.
in parallel call freight companies and find one willing to sub rent a container.
Next, find a company in that prefixture to deliver the pallet from junk yard to port.

If you dont live in SF or Seattle, you'll have to arrange freight from Port to your local pickup point.

.. you could always ask someone stationed there to play these games for a fee.

·
Registered
95 Coupe
435 Posts
You can also do what Motorex did and send cars to japan, that the Japanese like, and then use the same container to receive a shipment. But i guess that requires a partner in Japan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts