Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who visit this sight daily, might have noticed my classified WTB ads for one silver 5x100 STI BBS rim. I've had offers, but very few and usually retarded. I had one offer for a guy with a bent wheel, one offer for $300 shipped, one was gold, and one was 5x114 (which I drove 2 hours to pick up because I was told it was 5x100).

Where can I buy ONE BBS 5x100 rim, in silver for decent price?

Can I paint a gold one? If so, where can I get the exact color I need and how do I find out about the painting process?

Help! :puppy_dog

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealership would be top dollar, and the local junkyard just closed down. The nearest junkyard is about 35 minutes from me, and I highly doubt they'd have any 04 sti's. Even then, it'd be a fight to get my hands on a rim. I'd have to wait at the gates until one came in, punch the other guys in the face and then run like mad. :lol:

You know anything about painting? There's some gold ones on eBay that I've been checking out.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
I painted mine. Easy and fun I might add. Just follow the DIY on it and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2011 A4
1,863 Posts
theres a thread titled...Ask a paint/bodyman or something like that in here id ask him about painting rims...ive done it before with spray paint but if i did it again id do it with a paint gun

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I painted mine. Easy and fun I might add. Just follow the DIY on it and you'll be fine.
Orly? As long as I know someone has done it.. gives me a bit more confidence. What about the paint color? Where can I get the exact match? Do they sell paint like that? Any specific type?

theres a thread titled...Ask a paint/bodyman or something like that in here id ask him about painting rims...ive done it before with spray paint but if i did it again id do it with a paint gun
Will do.

If you don't want to paint it just go to junkyarddog.com.
Checking it out now, thanks!

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Orly? As long as I know someone has done it.. gives me a bit more confidence. What about the paint color? Where can I get the exact match? Do they sell paint like that? Any specific type?

I used duplicolor engine enamel on mine. Check my member's journal. First I used duplicolor engine enamel primer. I had to use silver because there was no white left but it didn't make a difference. Next I used the duplicolor engine enamel low gloss black over the primer (I used a whole can to each rim). After this I threw on a ceramic clear coat for added chip protection. You can get this paint at your local autozone or advanced auto. Just spray it on in thin coats to prevent chipping and make sure not to spray too far away from the rim or it will make the paint job look rough, I didn't need a paint gun. Had no problems using the can. Finger got a little black haha but that was it.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
I don't know if they have a high temp brp paint. But I did find some brp touch up paint on a couple sites

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,978 Posts
dude. you're looking for STI rims on RS25... Go to nasioc you'll have more luck

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Believe me, I have. I got so desperate that I actually posted up a WTB ad in the FS section of "rims and tires" or whatever it is :lol: I bump it daily and I still haven't gotten anything.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got 6 emails from different junkyards all across the United States, telling me that had the item and to call them. I called each and every one of them, but no avail. None of them can find the rim I'm looking for.

Gold, yes. Silver, no.

5x114, yes. 5x100, no.

WRX yes, STI no.

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
If you're going to paint them, you should have them powder coated or else they will end up wearing off/ fading.. If you do paint them, paint all of them or else you will be able to tell a difference in the color.

-Kurt

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still can't seem to find any of these... The one exception was some wheel place out in Cali, and he wanted $400 plus shipping. I lol'd.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,978 Posts
I still can't seem to find any of these... The one exception was some wheel place out in Cali, and he wanted $400 plus shipping. I lol'd.
how much is it from the dealer?
How about subaruparts.com or firstsubaruparts.com or any other site in the parts sites sticky?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts