Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this army mechanic scammed me.

BUYER BEWARE!

I thought i got a great deal on a ej257 motor this past week from ralph. I was told it had 20k miles on it. He just removed the stock pistons and installed new JE pistons for a 20g turbo build on his 98 coupe. I guess the one in this ad.

I had to split the case because it was full of cat hair and dirt. (it was not stored or transported inside a bag.) no problem right? clean it and reseal it back together. WRONG. i split the case, the bearings are garbage. crank too. If he, or I had used this motor as is, it would not have lasted very long.

I text him the pictures, and he offered to pay me $250, but not until January 2014. That won't cover half the needed repairs, So i'm holding my breath. Thanks ralph. I need $500 to fix this. how about it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
here is the ad.

sold

EJ205 wrx heads fresh from machine shop (fresh deck, lapped valves, new valve seats)
Supertech 90lb springs Ti retainers
JUN 272 cams
needs a few buckets (4.86 X 6 /4.91 X 8)
EJ257 block Stock rods/ JE low compression pistons
ARP head stud kit brand new in box
Cam gears (used)
Crank sprocket (used)
rear plastic timing belt covers
Valve covers painted red
11mm STi oil pump with new hardware and seal
2002 wrx intake manifold complete wiring/injectors/tb its all there.

the heads were not fresh from the machine shop. they only have a quick shave. they did not have machine work done to the valves or seats and did not include the supertech valve springs/ ti retainers, which i agreed to a $200 discount.

I was led to believe this motor was in good shape. I was told the block was checked out when got the new pistons installed...this block was not checked out. and i was scammed.
I already sold my original motor, so i have a disabled vehicle that cannot be put back together.

·
aka RFoy2.5RS-T
98 RS
1,707 Posts
I offered half of what it would cost for the repairs. As I told you I knew nothing of the condition of the bearings. I never told you the block was checked out when I installed the pistons. I told you all I did was remove the stock pistons and drop in the JE pistons. I only relayed the information that I was told when I bought the motor. I never split the case myself. As far as the way the engine was stored and transported you came to my house and checked the motor out. You saw it sitting on the floor in a spare storage room with a towel over it. You had no problems with the way it was stored at the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I offered half of what it would cost for the repairs. As I told you I knew nothing of the condition of the bearings. I never told you the block was checked out when I installed the pistons. I told you all I did was remove the stock pistons and drop in the JE pistons. I only relayed the information that I was told when I bought the motor. I never split the case myself. As far as the way the engine was stored and transported you came to my house and checked the motor out. You saw it sitting on the floor in a spare storage room with a towel over it. You had no problems with the way it was stored at the time.
i have no problems with how it was stored...I personally would not have stored a new motor that way. i was merely giving a quick back round of what happened.

the problem i have with the situation is that you told me and my friend that a certain reputable man at a company (name not disclosed) checked the block and he installed the pistons. half of the repair is $500. crank, bearings and labor to install and measure bearings is $1000.

when can i expect the refund?

·
aka RFoy2.5RS-T
98 RS
1,707 Posts
i have no problems with how it was stored...I personally would not have stored a NEW motor that way. i was merely giving a quick back round of what happened.

the problem i have with the situation is that you told me and my friend that a certain reputable man at a company (name not disclosed) checked the block and he installed the pistons. half of the repair is $500. crank, bearings and labor to install and measure bearings is $1000.

You are twisting what I said. I told you he installed the pistons and set the proper ring gap. I also told you that I never cracked the motor and checked the bearings but that they felt tight. I never said he checked the block. You bought the motor from me knowing it was used and knowing that I did not open the block and check the bearings. I was very clear that I bought the motor swapped the pistons, and that it had been sitting ever since. I was also very clear that I had never run the motor but was told it had 20k and was pulled from a running car. Like I said I can offer you $250 refund half of the parts needed. Giving you a grand is out of the question on a $1400 sale. I also gave you a ton of extra parts that were not listed in the forsale ad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are twisting what I said. I told you he installed the pistons and set the proper ring gap. I also told you that I never cracked the motor and checked the bearings but that they felt tight. I never said he checked the block. You bought the motor from me knowing it was used and knowing that I did not open the block and check the bearings. I was very clear that I bought the motor swapped the pistons, and that it had been sitting ever since. I was also very clear that I had never run the motor but was told it had 20k and was pulled from a running car. Like I said I can offer you $250 refund half of the parts needed. Giving you a grand is out of the question on a $1400 sale. I also gave you a ton of extra parts that were not listed in the forsale ad

im not twisting anything. a minute ago you posted that you installed the pistons, now you are saying you had the pistons installed. you sold me a piece of ****. And i want everyone to know you sold me a piece of ****.

the original price was 1600. i did not even ask for a lower price or bargain. i agreed to your asking price. paid you $500 deposit. then the cylinder heads were missing $600 worth of (machine work and supertech springs/ ti retainers.) so you gave me $200 back.

the motor is junk--has 1000$ worth of damage.
i am asking for $500 half of the price to fix the motor. i would then be glad to forget about all of this and shake hands. If not, you will burn your bridge, and I will never be doing business with you again.

·
aka RFoy2.5RS-T
98 RS
1,707 Posts
We installed the pistons together on his bench in his garage. Like I said the block was never split while I owned it and never run while I owned it and wasn't "checked out" while I owned it. You told me the damage was going to cost you $500, and I'm willing to split that with you.

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
I text him the pictures, and he offered to pay me $250, but not until January 2014. That won't cover half the needed repairs, So i'm holding my breath. Thanks ralph. I need $500 to fix this. how about it?
i have no problems with how it was stored...I personally would not have stored a new motor that way. i was merely giving a quick back round of what happened.

How did you nearly double that in like 2 posts?

Like I said if its a "junk" engine i'll take it, but certainly not for what you paid.

If you had picked it up and looked it over... Or even before purchasing why wouldn't you request the engine to be split? Ding dong.

I'm ruling in the favor of the defendant. The court is adjourned. I have exercised the demon.

If he's willing to pay half of the 250 that's more than most people would offer. Take it before you push it to the point where he doesn't want to deal with you.

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
Let me get this straight: you checked the motor out in person, now you're having buyers remorse because you missed something?

You bought a motor that had not run and had not been torn apart ... he had no way of knowing the condition of the bearings. If you thought it could be worse than described you should have either offered a lot less or passed on it.

I think the seller is being more than generous offering 250 dollars ... I would have just told you to piss off.

·
Registered
Black GC8
241 Posts
This is why you don't ever buy someone else's project or junk unless you know them personally. Everyone is on here to get info and make a profit at the same time. A fresh rebuild of any kind doesn't always mean its built correctly and running right unless its from a reputable shop. Every does DIY but honestly was it built right? Used ej20s are cheap from jdm imports for under $1000!

·
Registered
bagged gf8
147 Posts
based on this info I think the seller is being more than reasonable offering to pay for half the parts.

He is going above and beyond what must do when selling, count your blessings he didn't ignore you completed. I would trust to buy from him based on how he approached this situation...

·
Registered
94 Posts
The biggest bitch of it is, he fell on hard times and resold a motor that was apparently junk when he bought it. Not sure which is worse, catching this crap, or if he would have gone through with the build to find the damage himself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for all of you that haven't been ripped off by him yet, you will soon get your chance. because if Ralph Foy is willing to rip me off, that means he is also willing to rip off you.

Ralph Foy advertised this item to be in good shape. The item i received is not as described. There was no way to pull an engine apart in his moms spare bedroom. I trusted him and his word.

obviously his word means nothing.
I don't care if he is getting a divorce and has mouths to feed. that doesn't excuse his actions. He has yet to pay me for the damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
do you have any idea how much it costs to setup a crankshaft correctly? why don't we send the motor to EFI and ask them to build it. and we will split the bill. I can guarantee that each of us will be spending more than $500.

i have built a dozen or 2 motors so i can have good idea what im talking about. And if anyone who has setup a crankshaft before wants to post feel free. for everyone else, try it sometime. its a lot more time consuming than the HOW TO section in magazines makes it look.

·
Registered
MY05 WRX
27 Posts
Buying anything used from an individual is a gamble. If you didn't check it out or request to split it open and look at the bearings that is on you Fan Boy.

I recently bought a used EJ20 off craigslist and put in my WRX, Guess what? Spun bearing on a rod... Am i beating the guys door down or even contacting him? No. Why? Because its on me. I own my car, And I own the mistake of not checking the engine out more thoroughly before I bought it.

Own your mistake, Take his kind offer of giving you some cash back and move on.

The worst part of all this is it seems you are bashing a guy who did not intentionally or knowingly sell you a bad product, And who has offered you a portion of cash back when he is not required to do so.

I'd buy from the guy on that alone as well.

my .02 cents on the matter... No insults or butt hurts intended.

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
All I see is butt hurt and you keep trying to raise the price. How is it his fault for not opening the block?

I see this more on your fault. Take it to judge judy.

·
aka RFoy2.5RS-T
98 RS
1,707 Posts
Until ALL posts bashing me both on here and on nasioc including in my sale ad for my car are removed my offer to refund $250 is rescinded.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts