Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Gunmetal Widebody 3.3RS
484 Posts
I really didn't wanna be part of this,lol. But.

When swapping this motor, the ecu would need swapped too, correct?
How about dash harness?

If either or is the case, would that not be an indicator that this was not the motor for this car?
I understand that it could be confused with the sohc 2.5, all in all though, to swap in the existing motor, more then the motor was changed, right? Didnt tdadd and his friends do the swap? Shouldn't he really have known what he was putting in? Just trying to understand, that is all.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I really didn't wanna be part of this,lol. But.

When swapping this motor, the ecu would need swapped too, correct?
How about dash harness?

If either or is the case, would that not be an indicator that this was not the motor for this car?
I understand that it could be confused with the sohc 2.5, all in all though, to swap in the existing motor, more then the motor was changed, right? Didnt tdadd and his friends do the swap? Shouldn't he really have known what he was putting in? Just trying to understand, that is all.
It is a phase 1 SOHC. I think it is plug and play for the 98 which is the car it went into.

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
Alritey...

Let me state my opinion. To clear this SHIT up, this is beware... so ppl beware that Tadd did not state the information clearly and "perhaps" attempted to hide that info.

However, Salvage title tell you something... doesn't it? Its been hit!
OP sorry but you did check the car out in person.

End of story... Beware add checked!

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
I can't believe some of you claiming that the seller being ignorant about what he sold is a solid basis for letting him off scott free. Do any of you really think that argument would hold water in a court of law? That's absurd. It is the sellers responsibility to know what he is selling and properly represent the item in a truthful way. "I didn't know" is not an acceptable answer. I honestly can't believe the responses from some of the mods in this case.

Buyer, let this be a lesson to you. Know what you're buying.

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
I also want to bring Tdadd's member's journal to attention. Did you notice that it got more attention AFTER you purchased it OP? :)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
The only thing im in here at this point is to clear up the craigslist add part....said ej20 and also said" new motor swaped in" and then proceeded telling people "I got ripped off" your right I would have walked on the deal due to the motor so im not butt hurt about that and convoy should have done a bit more research aswell but none the less the seller said the motor was in perfect running conditionwith no issues on the phone....wouldn't have known till I seen the car. Basically he did falsify some info which is what im getting at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Hold up Tdadd!! You are saying that you have been calling and that I won't pick up your phone call about the $250? I called you when I found out that it was a 2.0 engine the following day after buying the car and we came to an agreement that I would keep the $250 for the inspection and for the fact that you lied about the type of engine that the car has. You even called me on Sunday asking me if i had sold the car because it was up for sale again. You didn't even mention the $$ because we had an agreement. You havnt called me since then and i never turn off my phone. How are you going to accuse me of not returning or picking up your damn phone calls? You are lying out your ass on here because you know that you got caught on your bs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Also I'm not contesting the radiator support damage or any of the body damage. I'm contesting that he had to have known it was a EJ20 and not a 25 from the info that I have gathered from other members on here. So that would result in him falsifying info to sell the car. I'm dealing with the salvage title and I'm in the process of getting it inspected and hopefully getting a rebuilt title.

Tdadd: if u have something to say to me about me "taking" your $250 for the inspection call me. I am not some punk ass kid who goes on forums to tell lies when he gets pushed into a corner. You know as well as I do that when I informed you about the engine not being the one you claimed it was, I told you that I would be keeping the $$ and you agreed with me and we left it at that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
So then convoy bought the used car expecting it to be brand new condition...:wtf: then got mad bc he found shit wrong with it...its a used car, your expectations are too high....didn't want to pay to fix the crap so he and his friend are now filing an imaginary claim on a message board to warn people about a misinformed person..?
My expectation on this car are in no way shape or form high. All I need is for the car to run and drive fine. I needed a awd car to get me to work and back and sometimes to take my daughter places. I don't care if the car came with a 2.0,2.5,2.2 or whatever. As long as it runs fine for a while. What I don't want is for someone else buying something from Tdadd and getting hosed in anyway. And FYI I had never talked to omiotek before I bought the car. He pmed to try and help me in getting more info on the car.

Ps: I have not mentioned all the little thing wrong that I have found on the car because I do understand that it's a 12 year old car. I don't care about the little things

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
MY16 Impreza Sport Limited
4,773 Posts
Convoy: My bad, there were some wrongfully made accusations in my statements, but you have since cleared them up. So final words: buyers beware Tdadd is not the most informed seller and to do your own research that way you know what your buying even if the seller [Tdadd] does not

PS the engine was not swapped by himself, it was done by someone else which is why he was misinformed and from there on out ignorant about it being anything but a 2.5

·
Registered
99 GM8
5,801 Posts
Idk how Tdadd wouldn't have noticed the MASSIVE power decrease from his new motor.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
moral of the story:
welcome to buying a car from anywhere but the dealer
know a thing or two, or don't say a SINGLE word if you get hosed
20e is no worse or better than a 25D. Likely, this youngin rodded the fuck out of the D, popped a hg or two, and shit out #1's rod through the block.

to the whole "selling a 2.5rs without a 2.5 is not a 2.5rs" Babababullshit.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Convoy: My bad, there were some wrongfully made accusations in my statements, but you have since cleared them up. So final words: buyers beware Tdadd is not the most informed seller and to do your own research that way you know what your buying even if the seller [Tdadd] does not

PS the engine was not swapped by himself, it was done by someone else which is why he was misinformed and from there on out ignorant about it being anything but a 2.5
Look in his pics...he's helping with the install.....craigslist said ej20 he knew

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
moral of the story:
welcome to buying a car from anywhere but the dealer
know a thing or two, or don't say a SINGLE word if you get hosed
20e is no worse or better than a 25D. Likely, this youngin rodded the fuck out of the D, popped a hg or two, and shit out #1's rod through the block.

to the whole "selling a 2.5rs without a 2.5 is not a 2.5rs" Babababullshit.
Pretty much my thinking as well. The seller either doesnt know what he is doing with cars at all or is hiding the truth. Just looking at the intake manifold and "torque box" it looked much differently from a conventional EJ25.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look in his pics...he's helping with the install
I really hate this argument stuff and don't want to get into this but Tdadd is nowhere in those pictures just to point out. He is not the guy with the lime green hoodie, that's a diffrent person. And to back this up I know both of them.

Another point, do you have a screen grab of the craigslist ad or something? Just saying "he said it was a 2.0" doesn't convince me.

And honestly I think Tdadd was misinformed. He had his sisters hand-down civic, which broke an axle, before this. He got a Subaru after I sold the idea to him. So his knowledge at the time of the swap was minimal.

As far as the noise is concerned, it had to be audible when whoever saw it. I know I heard it while I was back on break and voiced my concernes about it. The buyer should have turned away if they had any common knowledge of that noise, caveat emptor.

The N/A what ever that was in the car was going to be F/I once he graduated, but he was able to get a perfectly working WRX so he sold the RS. Not saying that his RS was in bad shape but wouldnt you rather have a properly working car rather than a pieced together one?

Welcome to the used car buying world. You should have done research and realized that buying a swapped car isn't always going to be as cool as it sounds.

Tdadd is a great kid and has accomplished alot more than some of you guys can say you've done when you were 16 (he is now 17 like NW said). He has created a mailorder company from scratch on all his own funds/knowledge and is starting a clothing brand in the near future.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
oh believe me if the craigslist add wasent deleted i would post it up... not contesting the noise issue. plus he told me on the phone.. him and friends did the install...maybe thats him holding the camera?

none the less buyer beware of used cars sales in general..... look over listen over etc etc.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,235 Posts
So.. what does this mean...
Note: This is far from irrefutable evidence, but it's quite compelling.

I can't seem to get Google to show me it's entire cache of the ad, but given the contents of the sellers original RS25 classifieds thread
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f171/t150808-buy-my-rs-tonight-tomorrow-4-995-a.html

...and the text in there where it reads "Here is my exact posting from craigslist:" I did a quick google search with a bunch of that text.

site:craigslist.org Up For Sale is a 1998 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 - Google Search.

Try this one too, it's more precise, and also shows the cached text "while the engine is still pristine at just 60k"
site:craigslist.org "the engine" "The body of the car currently has 149k" - Google Search

And got this
Code:
Subaru Impreza RS 2.5
 - 2:04pm
Jan 22, 2011 ... Up For Sale is a 1998 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5. The Engine was swapped to an ej20 STI motor. The body of the car currently has 149k, ...
chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/2173975533.html
Notice the result includes the text "EJ20 STi motor" and
"The Body of the car currently has 149k". The same verbiage has the classifieds ad in here.

If anybody has a copy of the original Craiglist ad URL, it can at least be compared to what Google found as the ad URL.

I've screen-copied the results from 2 google searches and pasted them into one image, attached to this post.

You be the judge... did the Seller know it was an EJ20 or not?
And if so, why was this fact left out of the classifieds ad in here?
IMO, the buyer is pretty much SOL on this, but the outcome of this thread will determine the reputation and credibility of both parties.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
good find via google.... like i said the add was prior to his for sale listing here when i seen the car...i recognized it here because of the pics and tdadd even told me on the phone he was trying to get 6k for it originally.... adds up to the craigslist add.....also if you click the add it says deleted by author and not the listing has expired....

like i said im not here saying tdadds an idiot or a bad guy because the buyer bought a car with audible engine knock. im just saying he knew it was an ej20 and said that on craigslist(unless his mom posted it for sale or something) and then failed to disclose the real deal here.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts