Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sold me a 98 2.5RS with a EJ25 engine that was suppose to be in "pristine" condition, it turned out to be a EJ20 with bad lifter noise. I should have checked the engine code before i bought it but i never thought that i would have to until i started doing some research about the car. Car also was suppose to have HID's installed and they were just plain super white bulbs. There have been a few other issues i have with Tdadd but these are the most important. Part of it is my fault for checking out a car 10min after having minor surgery.

Original Thread:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f171/t150808-buy-my-rs-tonight-tomorrow-4-995-a.html

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
Ej20? did he have it turbo'd at some point?

Was the engine making noise when you went to look at it?

·
Registered
2000 STM RS
209 Posts
I sold a car to Convoy advertising as a 2.5 engine. The person who did the swap for me, bought the engine and advised me the whole time that it was a direct replacement to what I had. As far as engine goes, I was scammed. The lifter tick was audible at the time of convoy checking the car out, and we both had talked about it.

As far as the HID's, I bought them from Top Speed in chicago, and they were advertised as 6000k HID bulbs.

·
Registered
99 GM8
5,801 Posts
How can you not know the difference between a boosted 2.0 and an NA 2.5?

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
When I spotted this FS ad the very 1st day it looked suspicous.Shall we say, it looked like it was being 'oversold' and the bad 'glossed over'. Original post said it was a 'super low' price at $4,995. Which simply is not the case. Banks, insurance companies & dealerships consider 'true value' of a marked title 50% of 'wholesale value'.

Thinking this guy was very young (and it turns out seller is 17) I thought he might not know the impact a salvage title had on value.

So, I sent this PM and subscribed to watch the progress of the sale...

Tdadd said:
NW OBS said:
A salavaged or 'marked' title is worth 50% of Kelley Private Party, no matter what the reason...

Just soos ya knows!

Michael
Good thing KBB is just an estimate :).

·
L On Roids.
98L 2.2
1,366 Posts
gonna be interesting to see how this one plays out. But I also think buyer needs to do more research.

·
Registered
1998 OBS and 1997 LGT
86 Posts
I sold a car to Convoy advertising as a 2.5 engine. The person who did the swap for me, bought the engine and advised me the whole time that it was a direct replacement to what I had. As far as engine goes, I was scammed. The lifter tick was audible at the time of convoy checking the car out, and we both had talked about it.
So because you were scammed means its ok to scam someone else and tell them its a 2.5 and not a 2.0? Did I miss something there?

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,235 Posts
I'm not sure quite what to think about this one yet.
It's a pretty fine line between scamming and ignorance.

It's totally possible the seller didn't know what an HID bulb was.
I know plenty of people who don't.

As for the motor mixup... I need way more info before I can make a judgement. Like, the evidence it's a 2.0 and not a 2.5. I'm not calling the OP a liar, I just want to know were this information has come from.

·
Registered
1998 OBS and 1997 LGT
86 Posts
Annndd upon further reading I did miss something. The seller never stated the car had a 2.5 anywhere. I think that checking the car out and verifying the engine would be the buyers duty. Also the noise should have been noticed when you went to check the car out.

On the other hand, if the seller knew he was "scammed" out of a 2.5.. I would think you would mention that to potential buyers.

Sounds to me like the seller realized the engine was an ej20 and not an ej25 and wanted to dump the car... just my .02.

I think both sides are wrong on this one. I would cut your losses and go boost your ej20!

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts

·
Registered
99 GM8
5,801 Posts
The thing is though, it is hard to get an EJ20 running properly without the turbo components. For example, plugging all of the feed lines.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,235 Posts
There is a whole lota :wtf: going on here!

So.. the OP knew it was a JDM EJ20?
Did he tell you "Convoy" that the motor was not the original motor?
And, if so, did he tell you any specific info about it? As in it was JDM? Displacement? etc...

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,659 Posts
Just curious to see the outcome on this so I am subscribing. There seems to be shadiness somewhere, just not sure on who yet.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
The thing is though, it is hard to get an EJ20 running properly without the turbo components. For example, plugging all of the feed lines.
It's an n/a 2.0, not a turbo.

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
It was sold as an RS, and those only came with the 2.5 so I wouldn't blame the buyer on that one.

Up For Sale is a 1998 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5.

·
Premium Member
96 GF4 " Bruiser"
3,540 Posts
part of it looks like ignorance on the sellers part, in his member journal he states several times its a 2.5

but also INGORES everyone trying to say something about the motor.

the valve covers certainly do NOT look like the SOHC 2.5

i think that motor is some crazy hybrid of left over parts, 1.8 heads on 2.0 block halves.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
part of it looks like ignorance on the sellers part, in his member journal he states several times its a 2.5

but also INGORES everyone trying to say something about the motor.

the valve covers certainly do NOT look like the SOHC 2.5

i think that motor is some crazy hybrid of left over parts, 1.8 heads on 2.0 block halves.
Looks like an ej20e to me.

Phase 1 SOHC. Pretty standard fare. In Japanland.

·
Premium Member
96 GF4 " Bruiser"
3,540 Posts
i see. so then its just an entire wrong motor.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts